We’ve been overloaded with decisions lately. “Where to live?” has been the question of the year, but I’m happy to say that we’re finally in the process of buying a new home (more on that later!). Now the decisions at hand are things like “which barstools match the new countertop? which sofas are free of VOC’s?” and “is a white sofa a really bad idea?”
Suffice it to say, when I got around to this quesadilla recipe, I couldn’t make up my mind on just one option so… Mix & Match quesadillas it is! A no-brainer. Hallelujah.
How to Make Quesadillas
If you’ve never made quesadillas before, they’re super easy. And with the right fillings, they can be incredibly flavorful, too. Here’s how you make them:
First, the binders. Yes, you could just bind your veggie quesadilla with melted cheese, but refried pinto or black beans, mashed sweet potato, and mashed avocado or guacamole are fun, healthy, vegan-friendly alternatives. Spread a thin layer onto your tortilla before adding the fillings (see the photos below).
Next, the veggie fillings! Fresh sweet corn, sautéed spinach, red or green onion onion, diced avocado, sliced serrano peppers, and sliced cherry tomatoes are all good seasonal choices.
Next, punch up the flavor. Sneak in some pickled jalapeños and a squeeze of lime, or add a few dollops of salsa inside before you fold them up. My dear friend Gaby just launched her own line of salsas – they’re SO delicious in these! You could also try my tomatillo salsa or even pineapple salsa for a sweet & spicy twist.
Then, it’s time to cook! Fold your filled tortillas in half and grill on each side. Slice the finished vegetarian quesadillas into wedges (as pictured at the top of this post). Serve hot with more salsa, mango salsa, or pico de gallo on the side 🙂
If you love this quesadilla recipe…
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas or corn tortillas* (see note)
- ¾ cup sweet potato mash, from about ½ baked sweet potato
- 1 (14-ounce) can refried pinto beans** (see note)
- 1 avocado, mashed with a squeeze of lime & pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (optional)
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 4 cups fresh spinach, sautéed
- Corn kernels cut from 2 ears of corn
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, stems and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- Gaby Dalkin’s (What's Gaby Cooking) Chipotle Tomato Salsa
- Gaby Dalkin’s (What's Gaby Cooking) Tomatillo Salsa
- Diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Prep the fillings and preheat a grill pan or skillet to medium high.
- Spread each tortilla with one binding ingredient - mashed sweet potato, refried beans, mashed avocado or cheese - so that your quesadillas will stick together.
- Add desired veggie fillings. Fold each tortilla in half over the fillings and gently press down.
- Cook each quesadilla for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until light char marks form. Remove from the pan, slice into wedges and serve.
**I used Whole Foods refried pinto beans which I like because they come nicely spiced.