This simple pound cake recipe is moist, lightly sweet & nicely spiced. It's a divine afternoon treat, especially with dollops of yogurt & in-season fruit.
I hope you’re all having a great weekend! Ours has been pretty chill – we went to the farmers market, Jack played video games, and I did some baking. I’m excited to share this lovely little pound cake recipe with you because I think it’s the perfect Sunday afternoon treat. It’s lightly sweet and nicely spiced. Yogurt makes it tangy while giving it a nice puffed up look. It’s moist with that perfect cake-y crumb that you want in a quick bread.
My Pound Cake Recipe
To be fair, I’m stretching the term “pound cake” a little here. It’s traditionally made with a pound each of flour, sugar, eggs, and butter, and this one certainly isn’t. I swap olive oil for the butter, go easy on the sugar, and use a mix of almond flour and all-purpose flour to get that signature moist, dense pound cake texture. Nowadays, you’ll see a lot of recipes for sour cream or cream cheese pound cake, but I use yogurt here. It adds the same delicious tangy flavor that sour cream or cream cheese would, but it’s healthier, and it’s what I keep on hand.
I finish this easy pound cake recipe with a dash of warming spices – nutmeg, cardamom, and cinnamon – lemon zest, and vanilla extract to give it a bright, spiced flavor.
Easy Pound Cake Serving Suggestions
As I said above, I love to enjoy a slice of this pound cake as an afternoon treat with tea or coffee. It would also be a welcome addition to a brunch spread with a frittata, French toast, pancakes, breakfast casserole, or baked oatmeal. And of course, it’s a great choice for dessert.
No matter what, serve this easy pound cake with dollops of yogurt and seasonal fresh fruit. Or, for a more decadent treat, swap the yogurt for coconut whipped cream.
More Favorite Cakes and Quick Breads
If you love this pound cake recipe, try one of these cakes or quick breads next:
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Pumpkin Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Best Carrot Cake
- Apple Cake
Yogurt Pound Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup Stonyfield Organic Plain Whole Milk Yogurt, more for serving
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh fruit, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray an 8x4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the cane sugar and lemon zest. Then add the yogurt, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve with dollops of yogurt and fresh fruit.
This post is in partnership with Stonyfield Organic and Blue Apron. All thoughts, photos, and experiences are my own!