Once you try this homemade pizza sauce recipe, you won't go back to the pre-made type. With just 5 simple ingredients, it's fresh & full of flavor!
Once you’ve made homemade pizza dough, what do you make next? Homemade pizza sauce, of course! Yesterday, I wrote about how making pizza dough from scratch is easier than it seems, and luckily, making pizza sauce is even simpler than that. Made with 5 pantry ingredients, this pizza sauce recipe is more cost-effective than using store bought tomato sauce, and it tastes ten times as good. Aside from baking it on the pizza, I don’t cook this sauce, so it retains a lovely tomato flavor that makes any homemade pizza feel fresh and light.
We’ve loved this sauce with all sorts of summery toppings this season. I hope you enjoy it too!
Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe Ingredients
My easy homemade pizza sauce recipe calls for 5 basic ingredients, most (or all) of which you likely have in your pantry! Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Canned whole peeled tomatoes. Because this recipe is so simple, I recommend seeking out good quality canned tomatoes. If you can find them, choose San Marzano tomatoes, which are especially sweet with a touch of mild acidity.
- Extra-virgin olive oil. A few teaspoons give the sauce a little richness, so it’s not too watery.
- And garlic, sea salt, and olive oil. They round out this sauce, giving it a full, robust flavor.
How to Make Pizza Sauce
This pizza sauce recipe is quick and easy to make. Once you’ve assembled your ingredients, all you need to do is plop them in a food processor and blend until smooth!
Rather than cooking this sauce on the stove, I dollop it straight on to the pizza from there. It’s thick enough that it doesn’t need to simmer down on the stove. Baking it in the oven cooks it just the right amount, and it keeps a delightful, fresh tomato flavor.
Once you’ve spread the sauce on your pizza, top it however you’d like! I’m a fan of pairing it with fresh basil leaves, tomatoes, mozzarella, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to make a Margherita pizza, but feel free to play with different toppings. Sautéed spinach, olives, mushrooms, or roasted red peppers would all taste great with it.
Love this homemade pizza sauce recipe?
- Place the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt, and oregano in a food processor and blend until combined.
- Spread ½ heaping cup of the pizza sauce onto the dough, top with desired toppings, and bake for 10 to12 minutes in a 500°F oven, or until the crust is browned.
- Makes enough sauce for about 4 pizzas. Store any extra sauce in the fridge or freezer.