I’m starting to get the feeling that it’s time to travel again… and this pistachio ice cream recipe takes me right back to Italy. Last year I destroyed myself on gelato (when in Rome, right?). I know everyone has their favorite spots, but I visited Giolitti every single day, and sometimes twice in a day. I somehow convinced myself that lactose intolerance can’t possibly exist in Italy… Though I paid the price for my delusion, I enjoyed every bite nonetheless.
My Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe
This at-home version turned out super creamy, nutty & delicious. To avoid any dairy side effects, we used coconut milk as a base instead of heavy cream or milk. I loved the sweet, nutty note of the coconut under the pistachio flavor. Here’s what else is in this delicious treat:
- Cornstarch takes the place of eggs or egg yolks, making this ice cream lusciously thick.
- Sugar sweetens it up.
- Fresh lemon juice adds a little tang – you could also use fresh-squeezed orange juice in its place!
- Pistachios (of course) make this ice cream deliciously rich & nutty!
- And sea salt offsets the sugar’s sweetness and ties all the flavors together.
My pistachio ice cream recipe doesn’t have any food coloring or almond extract in it, as I prefer the pistachio flavor on its own. However, if you want that classic almond-y taste and vibrant green color, go ahead and add a drop of each.
If you love this pistachio ice cream recipe…
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅔ cup cane sugar
- A few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup pistachios, blanched and skinned
- Scant ¼ cup water
- Sea salt
- Crushed pistachios, for serving
- Chocolate chips, for serving
- Freeze the base of your ice cream maker for at least 12 hours, preferably overnight.
- Make a slurry by mixing the ¼ cup of the coconut milk with the cornstarch. Stir until the starch is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the remaining 1¾ cups coconut milk and ⅓ cup of the sugar.
- When it almost starts to boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook at gentle simmer for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, scrape it into a bowl, and transfer it to the fridge to chill thoroughly, preferably overnight.
- In a high-speed blender, place the chilled ice cream base, lemon juice, pistachios, the remaining ⅓ cup sugar, water, and a pinch of sea salt. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the directions of the manufacturer to churn until thick (about 20 minutes). Scoop out and enjoy! If you would like thicker ice cream, freeze for 1-2 hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz’ Pistachio Gelato Recipe and Heidi Swanson’s Sweet Pistachio Butter.