Move over, tomatoes! This fresh, easy pineapple salsa recipe adds the perfect sweet & spicy finish to tacos, salads, burritos, and more.
When I moved to Austin, I discovered how fantastic fresh salsa could be. Whether made with tomatoes, tomatillos, chiles, or fruit, fresh salsas were always tangier, juicier, and more flavorful than their jarred counterparts. Of course, it wasn’t long before I started making my own at home, and this easy pineapple salsa recipe is one of my favorites. With just 7 ingredients, it couldn’t be simpler to make. Delectably sweet, spicy & juicy, it’s the perfect topping for grilled veggies (or grilled meats, if you’re not vegetarian) and all sorts of Mexican-inspired dishes. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Pineapple Salsa Recipe Tips
Want to make the best pineapple salsa out there? Check out these tips before diving into the recipe!
- Small pieces are your friends. Be sure to chop all the fruit and veggies in this recipe finely – it may seem time-consuming, but it has a huge payoff, as it really allows their flavors to mix & meld, and you get a little of everything in each bite.
- Using leftover (or pre-cut) pineapple will save you time. This recipe calls for just 2 cups of pineapple, so it’s a great one to make when you have leftover pineapple in the fridge. If you don’t, buy pre-cut pineapple to make this recipe quick & easy. Or break down a whole pineapple and freeze the leftovers to make avocado smoothies for breakfast!
- Make it to your taste! This recipe is fun & flexible, so make it how you like it! Add more jalapeño if you want it spicier or extra lime if it’s not tangy enough. Try adding red bell peppers for crunch, or stir some mango into the mix. Alternatively, check out my mango salsa, my peach salsa, or my kiwi salsa verde for more fruity salsa ideas!
What to Serve with Pineapple Salsa
I first made pineapple salsa for these stuffed peppers, and I’ve been in love with it ever since. You can find it in the recipe for these nachos or this burrito bowl, but it would also be excellent with any of these dishes:
- Rainbow Veggie Fajitas
- Vegetarian Tacos with Avocado-Tomatillo Sauce
- Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowl
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Jamaican Jerk Vegan Tacos (in place of the mango salsa)
The salsa will keep well in the fridge for up to a week, so prep it ahead and top it onto salads, bowls, tacos, and more all week long!
If you love this pineapple salsa recipe…
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ½ jalapeno, diced
- Juice and zest of lime
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- tortilla chips, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple, red onion, jalapeño, lime juice and zest, cilantro, garlic, and sea salt. Season to taste and chill until ready to use.