With crisp edges, chewy middles & just 6 ingredients, these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are one of my absolute favorite treats.
Ok, guys, get ready: you’re going to fall in love with these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
Let me tell you why: This peanut butter cookie recipe comes together in one bowl, it uses 6 ingredients, and it results in decadent, soft, pillowy cookies that are lightly crisp on the outside. These little guys are flourless, and they’re sweetened with coconut sugar, so they’re secretly on the healthy side too.
This peanut butter cookie recipe comes from my friend Kathryne’s new book Love Real Food. Her blog, Cookie and Kate, is one of my favorite vegetarian blogs to read, and she is one of my very best blog friends. If you aren’t following her, you should – she makes delicious, attainable vegetarian food, and her first cookbook, Love Real Food, is a real stunner. I’ve read it cover to cover, and I have one tip for you: don’t read it while you’re hungry! I drooled over recipes like Roasted Eggplant Lasagna, Chickpea Tikka Masala, and Fresh Greek Nachos before stopping at her gorgeous peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
If you’re asking, “What?! How can you make flourless peanut butter cookies?”, let me calm your fears. In fact, I actually think peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are better without flour, as peanut butter, eggs, and sugar give them a lovely structure on their own. They’re never too dry, but they’re crisp on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle. And for all you gluten-free readers, they’re the easiest gluten-free cookie recipe I know. Here’s what’s in them:
- Coconut sugar gives these flourless peanut butter cookies a nice, soft structure and caramelized sweetness.
- Eggs make them soft & puffy.
- Vanilla extract adds depth of flavor.
- Sea salt makes the nutty, sweet flavors pop.
- Creamy peanut butter gives them bold nutty flavor and richness. Be sure to use well-stirred natural peanut butter here!
- And chocolate chips dot these cookies with gooey, rich, chocolatey pockets.
That’s it! Let’s bake.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
These easy peanut butter cookies are so delicious and SO quick to make. Just follow these simple steps:
- Stir together the sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, and peanut butter until the batter is thick and totally smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips!
- If you want mounded cookies like the ones in the picture, chill the dough for 15 minutes.
- Then, scoop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets and bake in a 350-degree oven until they’re golden on the edges and a little underdone-looking in the middle.
- Now for the hard part: let the peanut butter cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time to eat!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe Variations
Want to change up these easy peanut butter cookies? Here are a few suggestions:
- Make vegan peanut butter cookies by omitting the eggs and using vegan chocolate chips. Kathryne notes that the egg- free cookies will be lighter and have a meringue-like texture that’s slightly gritty.
- Skip the chocolate chips and make straight-up peanut butter cookies. They’re still great.
- If you don’t have coconut sugar on hand, use whatever granulated sugar you do have. White sugar, brown sugar, or a mix of both will work here.
- Use crunchy natural peanut butter for extra-peanutty cookies.
- For classic-looking peanut butter cookies, roll the dough into balls instead of using a cookie scoop. Then, use a fork to lightly press down the dough balls and make a criss-cross pattern on their surfaces.
Let me know what variations you try, and go get yourself a copy of Love Real Food!
If you love these flourless peanut butter cookies…
Try my oatmeal cookies, sugar cookies, shortbread cookies, or pumpkin cookies next!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups lightly packed coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 jar (16 oz.) natural creamy peanut butter (1¼ cups)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (60% cacao)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut sugar and eggs and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla and salt until blended.
- Add the peanut butter and whisk until the dough is smooth and the peanut butter has completely blended into the batter (you might need to switch to a big spoon toward the end, which you'll need for mixing in the chocolate chips, anyway). Add the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate chips are evenly incorporated.
- For cookies that stay perfectly mounded, chill the dough for 15 minutes before proceeding. Use a 1-tablespoon cookie dough scoop or two spoons to scoop heaping tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 1 to 2 inches of space around each one. Chill any remaining dough while you bake the first batch.
- Bake until the cookies are golden at the edges but still just a little underdone in the center, 11 to 13 minutes. Let the cookies rest on the hot baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring them with a metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- These cookies keep well at room temperature for about 4 days, and freeze well for up to 3 months.
Can I freeze these whether prior to baking to save for another day or post-baking? The mix makes too many and I’m worried I’ll eat them all!
These cookies look delicious. I need a new choc chip cookie recipe so I’m going to try this on the weekend. I liked reading about when you started out!
Thanks Didi – I hope you enjoy the cookies!