My husband Jack can’t tell a lie. Not because he’s any nicer than the rest of us, he’s just incapable of it. For example, if he made this for me and wanted to hide the fact that it’s made almost entirely of peas, it would go like this:
Me: yum, what’s in this?
Him: um… well not peas, that’s for sure.
It’s endearing, really. He’s the most trustworthy guy you’d ever meet because he doesn’t know how to be any other way.
So now that this post is going up, the cat’s out of the bag and I have a teeny confession to make… Jack, I lied. Remember this pesto we ate for dinner (twice) last week? Totally all peas. But you liked it and never knew….
lemony pea pesto
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed (or fresh ones, blanched)
- handful of mint and basil
- ½ clove minced garlic
- a few big squeezes of lemon juice (to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese*
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- top with: lemon zest & red pepper flakes
- Pulse all pesto ingredients together in a food processor. Taste and adjust.
- Serve on grilled crusty bread drizzled with olive oil and rubbed with garlic.
- (also good on pasta, in salads, etc...)