If you've never had a pavlova for dessert, you're in for a treat! In my recipe, I top vanilla meringue with lemony coconut cream, berries & fresh mint.
For me, there’s such an overlap between cooking and traveling – I just love navigating new recipes as much as I love exploring new places. I’m in my happy place when I’m getting lost, trying new things, and tasting new foods… whether in my kitchen or somewhere around the world.
We’ve had a serious case of wanderlust lately. Jack and I have spent a good amount of time in Europe and Asia, but one place that’s been high on our travel list is New Zealand. By an amazing stroke of coincidence, Air New Zealand approached us to partner up for their Calling all Travelers campaign.
What does that mean? It means you can win a trip to New Zealand by creating your own action-packed-food-&-wine-or-whatever-you-like itinerary. And while we’re all planning our Kiwi adventures (and maybe sampling some New Zealand wine on the flight…), why not be adventurous, start at home, and make an NZ recipe that you’ve never tried before?
Pavlovas were created in honor of the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova in the 1920’s while she was touring through New Zealand. We had fun recreating this meringue dessert. I had never made one before but I love a new recipe challenge. They’re crispy on the outside and are sort of like a marshmallow in the center. They’re usually topped with whipped cream, but I used a lemony version of my go-to coconut cream with berries and fresh mint to make this pavlova dairy-free.
If you’re like us and are looking for a spring getaway, (with comfortable seating of course!), check out some really great travel deals Air New Zealand is offering. Or click over and build a customized vacation itinerary (before March 31st) for a chance to win a trip of your own!
This post is in partnership with Air New Zealand as part of their Calling All Travelers campaign. Check out their video and round trip tickets for as low as $1K! Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep us cooking!
Pavlovas with Lemon Coconut Cream
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar, or fine white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- solids from 2 cans full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- ⅓ cup sifted powdered sugar
- a few drops vanilla extract
- a few drops lemon oil
- 2 cups mixed berries & mint
- For the pavlovas, I followed the instructions from this recipe exactly (using an electric mixer to beat the egg whites). Let them cool to room temp before topping with the cream.
- Make the coconut cream: remove your coconut milk from the fridge and carefully scoop the thick solid part off the top. Save the watery part for another use. Use an electric mixer to whip the coconut cream until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon and mix again.
- Top pavlovas with a spoonful of coconut cream, berries and mint.
- Serve immediately.
Pavlova recipe adapted from here and many places on the internet.