An easy 5-ingredient homemade Kale Pesto. Great for fall and winter, this recipe is vegan, gluten-, nut- & dairy-free. Serve on pasta or your favorite dish!
I freaking love pesto. I make it all the time – usually with any herbs, greens, nuts, or seeds I have around. I like to swirl it into my soups, top it onto my eggs, or dollop it onto big salad-ey grain bowls. While there are one or two (or twelve) pesto recipes on this site already, I really love this version, so I think there’s room for one more.
Before I started the blog, I would have never imagined just how many people are allergic to nuts. So in the spirit of the healthy new year, this tasty pesto is dairy-free, gluten-free (obviously), and nut-free with omega-rich hemp seeds in place of the nuts. It’s also basil-free because, well, it’s winter and basil is hard to find.
Make this and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days – put it on anything & everything (or use it in one of these recipes!)
Hemp Seed & Kale Pesto
- ½ cup hemp seeds (I like Happy Hemp)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pulse the hemp seeds and garlic in a food processor. Add the kale and pulse again.
- Add the lemon juice and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper and pulse again.
- While the blade is running, drizzle in the olive oil. Scrape the sides of the food processor, if necessary, and pulse again. Season to taste.