Mini grilled cheese sandwiches make a fun snack or appetizer. Topped with sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, fresh mozzarella, and sautéed mushrooms. Vegetarian.
I finally caved… here’s my contribution for this silly thing called National Grilled Cheese month. Grilled cheese is probably Jack’s favorite food, so it was pretty mean of me to keep this “holiday” a secret until this close to the end. Now that I spilled the beans, it’s likely we might see a special contribution from him before the end of April. (although maybe don’t hold your breath for it).
The ingredient list below seems really long, but it all comes together pretty quickly. Feel free to skip any of the components you don’t feel like making. And if you’re vegan, you can leave out the cheese entirely and just make a mushroom & pesto grilled sandwich.
I’ve been seeing a lot of variations of pesto lately using miso paste, so I was interested to try that out. I’m not sure I could actually taste it in there, so feel free to just use salt if you don’t have miso paste on hand. This pesto is half arugula because I’m waiting for my basil plant to fully come back to life, so I was short the 3 full cups of basil. Feel free to use all basil or another herb or leafy green you might have on hand.
mini grilled cheeses
- mini ciabatta rolls (slightly trim off the "roll" top), or another bread of your choice
- fresh mozzarella slices (1 big slice per mini-sandwich)
- a few sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1.5 packed cups basil
- 1.5 packed cups arugula
- ⅓ c. toasted walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon miso (if you don't have miso, just use salt, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon honey (or agave)
- pepper to taste
- sliced yellow onion
- splash of olive oil
- splash of balsamic
- splash of honey or agave
- pinches of salt
- splash of olive oil
- splash of balsamic
- pinches of salt
- for the pesto: In a food processor, blend all pesto ingredients together except the olive oil. After everything is combined, drizzle in olive oil while the food processor is running. Taste and adjust. If its bland, add some salt and pepper. If it's too tangy, add more honey or sweetener, if it's not tangy enough add more vinegar or lemon juice. Set aside.
- For the caramelized onions: In a medium sized skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and salt and saute until translucent. Add balsamic and honey (or agave) and saute until they cook down and are brown and caramelized (about 4 more minutes). Set aside.
- For the balsamic mushrooms: In a separate medium sized skillet (or wipe out the one from the onions), heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and a few pinches of salt and cook down for 5 minutes or so, careful to not burn them to the bottom of the pan. Add a splash of balsamic to deglaze. If mushrooms are sticking, add a little more oil, or a few splashes of water to loosen them up. Cook until they're browned and wilted down. Set aside.
- Assemble the sandwiches: I actually grilled these open faced - the side with the cheese longer (so the cheese could sufficiently melt), the side with the pesto, not as long (so the pesto wouldn't dry out or become bitter), and then put the 2 sides together, pressing down gently to get them to stick.
wow!!! sooooo good. Long process but so worth it.
Hi, why isn’t there mushrooms in the ingredients for the balasmic mushrooms? What kind should I use and how much? Thank you
Hi Rachel, oops! Sorry about that! You can use 8 ounces of sliced cremini mushrooms here.
What’s up, after reading this remarkable post i am as well delighted to share my knowledge here with colleagues.
Hi, for all time i used to check webpage posts here in the
early hours in the break of day, as i love to find out more and more.
For those looking for something closer to home, there’s The Marquis which resembles a
classic British pub, featuring plasma screens showing music
videos and sporting events, plus a pool table. When you get in touch
with them, they will want to understand what size panel (wattage)
you have and what the voltage is. A refrigerator is one of the most complex and important items to consider
while you are moving.
Here is my blog; dock truck tool box gas shocks
I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself
or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply
as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to know
where u got this from. appreciate it
my page – The Logo Creator Reviews
Shock hair loss is generally caused by physician error when doing the
treatment, so picking a physician who understands exactly what they are doing is essential.
Zinc absorption and vitamin C intake could be synergistic.
It improves your hair’s elasticity, texture and strength.
Feel free to surf to my homepage; laser hair regrowth for women
Water is your organic cleaner so you should always be effectively moisturized.
Calvert states, it requires a great deal of planning and preparation, as well as a lengthy recovery time (a three to five week hospital
stay, with about six weeks of home rest prior to returning to work).
They also exhibit a willingness to answer questions and
to make a patient feel safe and comfortable.
Visit my web site dr. frank ryan
I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts
in this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually
stumbled upon this web site. Reading this information So i am satisfied to show that I’ve an incredibly good uncanny feeling I
discovered just what I needed. I such a lot unquestionably will
make certain to don?t fail to remember this web site and provides it
a look regularly.
Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been running a blog for?
you make running a blog glance easy. The overall glance
of your site is excellent, let alone the content!
Visit my web blog – เปลี่ยนชื่อ
Wow, this article is fastidious, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, thus I am going to let know her.
I every time emailed this blog post page to all my
friends, for the reason that if like to read it then my friends will too.
Review my blog post … hyperpigmentation home made remedies