I’m calling this my “Merry Christmas Millet Salad”… because why wait until January to eat a little lighter and brighter? This salad is full of everything I love – pretty pomegranates, pistachios, fennel, & mint… and it’s tossed in a light but tangy tahini dressing that’s sweetened with big squeezes of orange.
If you don’t have millet, you could just as easily sub quinoa. I use the two pretty interchangeably (especially when I forget to label my bulk bin bags). What I love about millet is that it almost tastes like semolina couscous, but it’s entirely gluten free and a healthy whole grain. It works really well here with the sweet nutty flavors of the pistachio & tahini.
I hope you all have a merry Christmas and a happy, healthy holiday!
- 2 cups cooked millet (I use this method)
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup or so, thinly sliced red cabbage
- ¼ cup scallions chopped scallions
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- ⅓ cup toasted pistachios
- a few handfuls of baby salad greens
- handful of mint leaves
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange
- optional: 1-2 teaspoon maple syrup
- salt & pepper
- a little water to thin, if necessary
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients, taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- Optional step: toss your chickpeas in a small skillet w/ a little olive oil, salt and pepper until browned.
- Toss together all salad ingredients with enough dressing to coat (you don't have to use it all). Taste and adjust seasonings.
Blue Print Ceramic Salad Bowl from Food 52