These Meyer lemon madeleines are light, sweet, and perfect for sharing on Valentine's Day. Dust them with powdered sugar for an extra special touch.
If I had to pick a favorite holiday, it would have to be Valentine’s Day. I’ve always loved the day because really, it’s so… simple. The only real rule is that you need to show people you love them. Check back Friday for a date night story about Jack and me, but I’m dedicating this post to the person that made this day my favorite when I was a kid – my mom.
Growing up, she always made Valentine’s Day so special for me and my sister. For at least a week leading up to February 14th, we would make crafts with tiny scissors and red construction paper. There would also be treats galore… brownies cut into heart shapes and cupcakes topped with poofs of pink frosting. On the special day, there may or may not have been a heart shaped breakfast before we’d put on pink dresses and head to school to trade tiny envelopes with our little friends. After school, there were more treats. It was the sweetest kind of sugar rush there could be.
So fast forward to now, it’s only appropriate that the credit, again, goes to mom. I’ve been a little down for the count with some health issues and other calamities lately, and my mom spent a few weeks in town to help out in that way that only moms can. The bed got made, the dog hair got vacuumed out of the sofa cushions, AND heart shaped lemon madeleines for the blog got made. And, how cute are they?!?
Of course, we made them with a little lemony spin. They were incredibly easy to make because, well, my mom did all of the work. So let’s just say these lemon madeleines were incredibly easy to eat.
More Favorite Lemon Treats
If you love these Meyer lemon madeleines, try one of these lemony treats next:
For more Super Fun Baking Recipes, check out this post!
Meyer Lemon Madeleines
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (from a Meyer lemon, ideally)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray your madeleine pan with cooking spray, or skip if your pan is nonstick.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and salt. Use an electric mixer and, beat well until the mixture is pale, thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and lemon oil. Sprinkle the sifted flour over the egg mixture and beat on low speed to incorporate.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the lemon zest and half of the coconut oil just until blended. Fold in the remaining coconut oil.
- Divide the batter among the prepared molds, using a heaping tablespoon of batter for each mold. Bake the madeleines until the tops spring back when lightly touched, 5 to 8 minutes. (This might vary depending on your oven - we baked ours for 5).
- Remove the pan from the oven and invert it over a wire rack, then rap it on the rack to release the madeleines. Once they're cool, dust with powdered sugar.