Ever since our first trip to Japan, I’ve been obsessed with matcha. Matcha ice cream, matcha doughnuts, matcha smoothies… I love them all, but my favorite way to enjoy matcha is in a creamy matcha latte. The slightly bitter matcha flavor mixes with (in this case) coconut milk to create a perfect creamy flavor balance. Often times, coffee shop matcha lattes are too sweet, which is why I prefer to make my matcha latte at home!
What is matcha?
Matcha powder is made from ground green tea leaves. Unlike when you drink steeped green tea, you consume the entire tea leaf in a matcha latte. As a result, matcha has approximately 10x more nutrients than regular green tea! (If you’re interested in more matcha benefits, click here). We, of course, love it because it tastes good.
How to Make a Matcha Latte
This matcha latte recipe is super easy. It’s just three ingredients (and a tiny bit of sweetener, if you want), and you don’t need any fancy barista skills or equipment. If you’re going to make a lotta lattes you might want to invest in an official (and very cute) matcha whisk, but a small kitchen whisk or milk frother will foam it up just the same. Here’s how you do it:
- Start by sifting your matcha powder. It clumps easily, and the clumps can be difficult to whisk away, so this step will help make your matcha latte smooth, creamy & lump-free.
- Add the matcha to a mug, and pour in hot, recently boiled water over it. Whisk vigorously until the matcha green tea powder is fully dispersed. You want to move your whisk in an up-and-down or side-to-side motion, not the usual circular pattern, in order to get your matcha to foam.
- Pour the warmed coconut milk over the foamy water (almond milk is good too!) and whisk again to froth the milk.
- Taste your latte and decide how much sweetener you want to add, if any. I like mine with a drop of maple syrup.
That’s it! Enjoy.
If you love this matcha latte…
- ½ - 1 teaspoon matcha
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ cup warmed coconut milk
- Maple syrup, honey, stevia, or sweetener of choice, optional
- Sift your matcha so it is lump-free.
- Spoon the matcha into a large mug. Add the hot water and whisk briskly, in an up and down motion, until frothy - about 30 seconds or so. Add the coconut milk and whisk until well combined.
- Taste and add additional water, coconut milk, and/or sweetener to your liking.