Use whatever veggies you have on hand in this flexible vegetable soup recipe! It's easy, it's vegan & it's great for warming up on cold nights.
This vegetable soup recipe is cozy, healing, and warming – just the thing for a cold night, or any time you’re feeling a bit under the weather. In fact, I started working on it a few weeks ago, after getting pretty sick. It’s not usual for me, but I didn’t leave the sofa for three or four days in a row. Jack would bring me veggie soup and crackers, and somehow we started watching Friends – in marathon form – from the very beginning. He doesn’t want his friends and coworkers to know this, but we’re now 3 seasons in, and he couldn’t BE any more into it.
Once I was back on my feet, I was still craving soup, and I had a ton of random veggies to use up. Enter: this vegan vegetable soup! Brothy, healthy, and full of fresh vegetables, this vegetable soup is a great recipe to have on hand whenever you crave something light & nourishing.
Best Vegetable Soup Recipe Variations
I call for a lot of vegetables in this soup, but use whatever you have on hand and/or skip what you don’t have. Here are a few easy ways you could change it up:
- Use all carrot or all sweet potato instead of both, or add butternut squash instead.
- Add a tablespoon of dried Italian seasoning in place of the oregano.
- Toss in a few sliced cremini mushrooms when you add the carrot.
- Swap bell pepper for the cherry tomatoes, zucchini, or green beans.
- Leave out the wine and add an extra splash of vinegar.
- Omit the chickpeas, or replace them with white beans or cooked French green lentils.
- Use another leafy green, like spinach or chard, in place of the kale.
- Top bowls with finely chopped parsley or basil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese!
Let me know what variations you try!
Make a big pot, eat it the next day, and the day after that. It also freezes well. A warm bowl of this vegetable soup is great to cozy up with – especially when it hasn’t been your day, your week, your month, or even your year.
If you love this vegetable soup recipe…
Try another vegetarian soup, like this lentil soup, butternut squash soup, miso soup, asparagus soup, or gazpacho, next! And if you like flexible, many-veggie recipes, check out these tacos or this roasted vegetable pasta.
Many-Veggie Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- ¼ cup dry white wine (i.e., pinot grigio)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or rosemary)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1½ cups chopped kale
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and several grinds of pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Add the carrot and sweet potato, stir and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for about 30 seconds to reduce by half, then add the canned tomatoes, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cherry tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, chickpeas, and cover and cook 10 to 15 more minutes, until the green beans are tender.
- Stir in the vinegar, kale, an additional ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste), and more pepper.