This wasn’t originally going to be a post, but of course that’s how so many of these things start out. I was making dinner one night last week… the mango salsa I usually make, on top of seared tuna. (thanks to my Aunt Judi for the suggestion!).
I started preparing my tuna the way I usually do – marinated in soy sauce and maybe some ginger… pressed in sesame seeds, with a drizzle of sesame oil at the very end.
That’s when I had the “ah-ha moment” that those asian-inspired ingredients would make for a nice spin on the salsa itself. So there you have it – my fusion version of mango-avocado salsa. I’ve made a few variations since then (listed below) – I particularly like it with a splash of rice vinegar or yuzu and a few sprigs of mint.
And of course the tuna isn’t completely necessary – serve it however you like!
mango sesame salsa
- 1 medium mango, diced
- 1 small avocado, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1-2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 chopped scallions
- toasted sesame seeds
- salt, to taste
- splash of rice vinegar, yuzu, or ponzu
- a bit of sambal chile-garlic sauce or sriracha
- a bit of freshly grated ginger
- chopped mint
- mix everything together, taste & adjust seasonings.
- Let it chill for a bit (if you want), and serve however you like - on fish, meat, tacos, tostadas (pictured), with chips, or in a salad, etc.
- a good looking piece of tuna
- soy sauce
- grated ginger
- black pepper
- sesame seeds for coating
- marinate the tuna in some soy sauce, ginger, and pepper. Let it sit for 15 minutes or up to an hour (in the fridge).
- Spread sesame seeds on a plate and press the tuna into them, covering both sides of the tuna.
- Heat a pan or grill to high heat. Sear tuna in hot pan for about 30 seconds per side. Remove, let cool for a few minutes, and slice.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper if necessary.Top with sesame mango salsa.
I tried vegan version of the dish, was definitely amazing!
I do make a variation of this with mango, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño pepper, shallots and salt. But this sounds like a great option to change it up a bit. Love the addition of sesame seeds! Awesome on any fish…or just with chips! 🙂
Isn’t it funny how things come together like that? This recipe makes me want summer to never end.
What a beautiful salsa! Looks like it will brighten up just about any meal.
Mmm… can never resist mango salsa!! So refreshing!!
I absolutely love a mango-sweetened salsa. I usually also put tomatoes in mine, so it’s more like a traditional salsa, but this looks like it would be so good with tuna.
The best ideas really do just happen! This salsa is calling my name and so is the seared tuna! Perfect meal!
yum yum yum
mango AND avocado?! I definitely need to give this a try!!
I absolutely L.O.V.E mango salsa… and this sounds amazing!!
I am runth over by mangos this season, I can not wait to try this! the salsa would be great on tofu too, simply grilled a served with a bowl of rice. Yum-o!