Whenever I buy red cabbage (or any cabbage, for that matter), I have it around for weeks. I like the bit of crunch it adds to my tacos but I hate the space it takes up in my fridge while I try to think of uses for the rest of it.
This recipe probably looks a little familiar – after I made last week’s rice bowl, I made these tacos out of nearly the same ingredients. (Cook once, eat twice, I say). I used up more of my red cabbage, diced mango, avocado and that tasty coconut peanut sauce. These are sweet, savory, crunchy and a little spicy – in other words, my four food groups.
Under all of that, there’s tempeh that I lightly marinated and seared. Feel free to sub in any protein you like – the toppings are really the star here.
Mango Peanut Tempeh Tacos
- ½-inch strips of tempeh (about 8 strips, from 1 pkg)
- drizzle of olive oil
- splash of tamari or soy suace
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- squeeze of lime
- 1 mango, cubed
- ¼ cup scallions
- 1 avocado, sliced
- sriracha (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- ⅓ cup coconut milk (full fat or light, from a can or box)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- optional - minced garlic and/or ginger
- Drizzle tempeh strips with olive oil and tamari. Set aside to marinate while you prep everything else.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients. (I do this in a jar with a tight lid - shake until combined). Taste and adjust seasonings.
- In a small bowl, toss red cabbage with a squeeze of lime and a pinch of salt.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh strips and cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Assemble tacos with tempeh strips, red cabbage, mango, scallions, avocado slices and cilantro. Serve with coconut peanut sauce, limes and sriracha on the side.
What an amazing dish! All of the flavors and textures went perfectly together and that peanut sauce was out of this world! Love your recipes!
This was damn good. I was interested in trying it because I’m a sucker for a peanut sauce and, hey you throw mango and avocado into the mix–I’m sold. What I wasn’t convinced about at face value was the cabbage. Beautiful? Obviously. But I’m not generally a fan. But I knew this recipe would need some crunch so I followed the recipe to a T, including the key ingredient in the cabbage slaw: lime juice. Wow. The lime juice took the cabbage to the next level. So I guess I love purple cabbage now. And I really, really love these tacos. The crispy, salty tempeh with the sweet mango: divine.
Solid weeknight dinner.
very good vegetables can make a wonderful meal . I love that salad, it’s one of my favorites.
Saw this featured in a Buzzfeed article and HAD to make them. Peanut sauce on anything wins me over and I’ve never heard of adding coconut milk to it. Needless to say, the tacos were as beautiful as they were totally scrumptious. Thumbs up from everyone in my house!
Hi Kayla, I’m so glad you (and your family) liked them!!
I love how bright and colorful this mango peanut tempeh tacos is; it looks so inviting and delicious!
This recipe was delicious
great post…click david miller
do you have a recipe for the tacos themselves? 🙂
it looks so delicious.