Today’s special ingredient: Mango Habanero Jam. I know, I know, it’s not in your pantry already, but I just loved this salsa so much I had to share it anyway. It’s sweet, juicy and spicy with a little nice kick from the jam. (A little bit goes long way).
I didn’t realize mango habanero jam was missing from my life until it showed up recently in my Hatchery Box. I’ve been loving my Hatchery subscription – it’s like mini-christmas once a month to get a box full of sample-sized artisan ingredients to try. I find that it often takes just one unique ingredient to elevate simple meals into something special.
These really couldn’t be easier – just chop and mix your ingredients – salsa, avocado, black beans, etc, and stuff them into a tortilla. (Add cheese if you want, but these are plenty flavorful without). Next time I might switch things up by adding a grilled piece of halibut or salmon.
Update: Hatchery’s Mango Habanero Jam isn’t available anymore but here are some other ideas of what to use instead:
– Add chipotle spices to your mango salsa – ie, a spoonful of the adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo.
– Add roasted jalapeños or habaneros to your mango salsa (or even a squeeze of sriracha for kick).
– Use any sweet/savory jam – I’ve seen spicy peach jams at farmers markets and whole foods, something like that would work well here.
- 1 small mango, diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 diced red padrone pepper (or ¼ cup red bell)
- juice of 1 lime
- splash of olive oil
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- ¾ cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons mango-habanero jam or similar (see notes below)
- 4-6 flour (or gluten free corn) tortillas
- optional: crumbled cotija cheese
- optional: greek yogurt w/ lime & salt
- In a medium bowl stir together diced mango, red onion, red pepper, lime juice, olive oil, chopped cilantro, avocado, black beans and 1-2 teaspoons of mango habanero jam. Add a few generous pinches of salt. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to use.
- Char (or warm) your tortillas, and fill.
- Optional: top with crumbly cheese and/or seasoned greek yogurt (or sour cream), and extra habanero jam on the side.