Mango & habanero make the BEST addition to these easy black bean tacos. Sweet, spicy & just 10 ingredients, they're a fresh, fun weeknight dinner.
I love a good mango salsa. (I mean, who doesn’t?) It’s so fun and versatile – some of my favorite additions have been roasted jalapeños, smoked paprika, diced avocado, and even sesame & ginger. Today, I’m stirring in some mango habanero jam to make a sweet, juicy, and spicy filling for easy black bean tacos.
These black bean tacos really couldn’t be easier – just chop and mix your ingredients – salsa, avocado, black beans, etc., and stuff them into a tortilla. (Add cheese if you want, but these are plenty flavorful without).
Black Bean Tacos Variations
If you can’t get your hands on a good mango habanero jam, not to worry! Try any of these variations:
- Add chipotle spices to your mango salsa. You could use a spoonful of the adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo or a sprinkle of chipotle powder.
- Add roasted jalapeños or habaneros or even a squeeze of sriracha for kick.
- Use any sweet/savory jam – I’ve seen spicy peach jams at farmers markets and Whole Foods, and something along those lines would work well here.
As it stands, this recipe for black bean tacos is pretty simple. Feel free to dress it up with romaine lettuce for crunch, fresh corn, or chipotle sauce. You could even use another fruit in place of the mango – peaches would be divine. Next time I might switch things up by adding a grilled piece of halibut or salmon.
What to Serve with Black Bean Tacos
Make these tacos part of a larger meal by serving them alongside guacamole, salsa, mini stuffed peppers, or grilled avocado.
And, as is the case with any taco recipe, you can’t go wrong with a margarita to drink. Try my classic margarita, watermelon margarita, or jalapeño margarita!
If you love these black bean tacos…
Try these many-veggie tacos, these tofu “fish” tacos, or these breakfast tacos next!
Mango Habanero Black Bean Tacos
- 1 small mango, diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 diced red padrone pepper (or ¼ cup red bell)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¾ cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 teaspoons mango-habanero jam or similar (see notes below)
- 4-6 tortillas (use corn tortillas for a gluten-free option)
- Crumbled Cotija cheese (optional)
- Greek yogurt w/ lime & salt (optional)
- In a medium bowl stir together the diced mango, red onion, red pepper, lime juice, olive oil, chopped cilantro, avocado, black beans, and 1-2 teaspoons of mango habanero jam. Add a few generous pinches of salt. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to use.
- Char (or warm) your tortillas, and fill with the mango mixture.
- Top with the Cotija cheese and seasoned Greek yogurt, if using, and serve with extra habanero jam on the side.
This is the second recipe I’ve made from this website this week and I am OBSESSED! I ended up making my own mango habanero jam. It was pretty easy and I think it worked fine. Anyways, awesome recipe! All of my family members agreed, five stars.
These Tacos are really tasty, excellent! Easy to make and have good flavor to them, you do not need cheese, good just plain.
Great news for spicy jam lovers! I was browsing the Hatchery’s site and they sell the jam straight from the website as well as loads of other products!
Thanks for sharing this recipe! It looks so easy and delicious. I bet the salsa would also be delicious over some flaky fish or scooped with crispy tortilla chips.
Yummy! I love mango salsa. Thanks for your sharing! It makes me go to the kitchen right now 🙂
I love to read your posts and recipes. The photos you post make me really hungry. Thanks for sharing this recipe