These lemon poppy seed muffins are super moist and bursting with bright citrus flavor. They're delicious plain or with a simple lemon glaze on top!
Let’s make lemon poppy seed muffins! These classic muffins are bursting with fresh citrus flavor, and they have a moist, tender texture that’s punctuated by the poppy seeds’ crunch.
I love them plain for breakfast or an afternoon snack, but they’re also wonderful with my quick lemon glaze on top. It makes them a bakery-worthy treat that would be perfect for a special occasion brunch or even dessert.
Like all of my muffin recipes, these lemon poppy seed muffins are easy to make. You simply stir together the batter in a couple of mixing bowls. No mixer required!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this lemon poppy seed muffins recipe:
- Lemons, of course! At least 2 to 3. This lemon poppy seed muffins recipe boasts 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and 2 tablespoons zest!
- All-purpose flour – Spoon and level it to avoid packing too much into your measuring cup.
- Baking powder, baking soda, and eggs – They help the muffins rise.
- Whole milk Greek yogurt – Ever seen sour cream in a muffin recipe? The Greek yogurt does the same thing here. It adds moisture and richness and makes the muffins extra-puffy.
- Maple syrup – Most lemon poppy seed muffin recipes call for granulated sugar, but I love to use maple here instead. It sweetens the muffins naturally and adds great depth of flavor.
- Avocado oil – For richness. Vegetable oil works too!
- Milk – Any kind you like! Whole milk and unsweetened almond milk both work well.
- Vanilla extract – For warm depth of flavor.
- Poppy seeds – They add delightful crunch.
- And sea salt – To make all the flavors pop!
If you want to make the lemon glaze, you’ll also need a few more tablespoons of lemon juice and powdered sugar. So simple!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
FAQ: Can I use chia seeds instead of poppy seeds?
Yes! Just like in my vegan lemon muffins, chia seeds work perfectly here. Feel free to use them instead of poppy seeds.
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
This lemon muffins recipe is super easy to make! Here’s how it goes:
First, make the batter. Combine the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry ingredients in another.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix until just combined. Careful not to overmix! If you do, the muffins will be dense.
Fold in the poppy seeds.
The batter will be thick! That’s ok. The thick batter supports the poppy seeds so that they don’t all sink to the bottoms of the muffins. It also helps the muffin tops hold their puffed, domed shape after baking.
Next, divide the batter into the muffin pan. Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin by greasing the muffin cups or lining them with paper liners. Use a 1/3-cup scoop to portion the batter into the muffin cups.
Then, bake! Transfer the muffins to a 400°F oven and bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back to the touch. A toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins should come out clean.
Finally, let the muffins cool. It’ll be tempting to reach for one right away, but the muffins’ texture and flavor actually improve after they’ve had a chance to cool! Let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once the muffins are cool, drizzle them with the lemon glaze for a bolder lemon flavor, or enjoy them plain. Both options are delicious!
These lemon poppy seed muffins keep well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Can you freeze lemon poppy seed muffins?
Yes! Sealed in an airtight container or bag, these muffins freeze well for up to 3 months. Let frozen muffins thaw for an hour or so at room temp, or pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds. They make a great quick breakfast or snack!
More Favorite Muffin Recipes
If you love these lemon muffins, try one of these yummy muffin recipes next:
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Apple Muffins
- Carrot Muffins
- Zucchini Muffins
- Strawberry Muffins
- Healthy Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Or any of these 10 Healthy Muffin Recipes!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup avocado oil, or any neutral oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons milk, any kind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and lightly oil or spray a 12-cup muffin tin or line it with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, avocado oil, lemon juice and zest, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the poppy seeds. Use a ⅓-cup measuring cup to scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.