An easy vegan weeknight recipe made with ginger-lime marinated kohlrabi, fresh herbs, and rice noodles. A great make-ahead lunch! Healthy & gluten-free.
Oh, kohlrabi… I first learned of this alien vegetable years ago when I received my very first CSA box. At the time, I wasn’t adventurous with vegetables, so I had no clue what it was and no clue what to do with it. Kohlrabi has seemed to gain some popularity since then – I often see it on restaurant menus – but back then it was barely google-able.
Fast forward to now – it’s one of my favorites. People say it’s similar to broccoli stems, but I think it’s closer to daikon or even jicama. Slice it up into sticks, marinate it a bit, and it makes a great crunchy slaw. I’ve put this exact slaw on tacos, but today I’ve mixed the white kohlrabi sticks with rice noodles.
Slice your kohlrabi so that it’s a similar shape to the rice sticks. You’ll feel like you’re eating a huge bowl of noodles, when, in fact, half of your bowl is all veggie. If you can’t find kohlrabi, you could do a similar thing with cucumbers.
spicy kohlrabi noodles
- 2-3 kohlrabi
- 4 oz. cooked (and cooled) rice noodles
- ½ jalapeño, sliced and/or a few thai red chiles
- ½ avocado, sliced
- herbs: cilantro, basil, and/or mint
- handful of crushed peanuts
- sriracha, to taste
- extra lime slices
- optional: tofu or a protein of your choice
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Mix the dressing together.
- Peel the kohlrabi if you like, (I just try to peel off the fibrous nubby sections and I leave the more tender skin on). Use a mandoline to slice kohlrabi into planks and then slice the planks into thin matchsticks. Toss the sliced kohlrabi with the dressing and chile peppers. Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Toss the marinated kohlrabi with noodles, avocado, herbs, crushed peanuts and sriracha. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve cold or at room temp, with extra lime slices on the side.