I have a very green, yet not very St. Patrick’s Day-themed recipe today. Maybe next year will be the year that I finally decide to revamp the shamrock shake (why don’t I think of these things earlier?). But for now, I’ve got green-on-green-on-green. Kale, brussels sprouts and avocado…. with some other veggies tossed in for crunch and a pop of color.
The trick to raw kale salads is usually to massage the kale – this time I just chopped the leaves really small, mixed them with shaved brussels sprouts, and tossed it all with a creamy avocado tahini dressing to help wilt the hearty greens. Consider this one your post-St. Paddy’s day detox.
- 1 small avocado (or ½ a large one)
- 1½ tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups kale, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shaved brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup radishes, sliced into matchsticks
- ¼ cup thinly sliced carrots
- ½ cup white beans
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup chopped basil
- Place avocado, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil into a food processor. Pulse, then add water salt and pepper and blend until creamy.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale, brussels sprouts, radishes and carrots with half the dressing. Mix well, then let it sit at room temp for about 15 minutes.
- Add white beans, almonds, basil and as much of the remaining dressing as you like. Taste and add more salt, pepper, and lemon juice as needed.