This avocado toast topped with balsamic-sautéed kale and a fried egg makes a simple and healthy vegetarian lunch or snack.
I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend! Ours was filled with family festivities, eating, walking (trying to burn off at least some of the calories consumed), followed by more eating, and of course some drinking in there too.
Many of you are probably tired of cooking by now, so today’s recipe is not really a recipe. I realized the other day that I rarely post about the food that I actually eat the most… the simple things I throw together for breakfast or a quick lunch.
I eat a version of this at least a few times a week… sometimes without the egg (sometimes without the toast)… always with a good squeeze of lemon. This time, I added a bit of kale sautéed in balsamic. (Because it’s never too early in the day to get those greens in.)
Kale, Egg & Avocado Toast
- Small handful chopped kale
- Tiny bit of olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- ¼ ripe avocado
- 1 slice grainy bread, toasted & rubbed with garlic
- Lemon, for squeezing
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- Hemp seeds (optional)
- Fried or poached egg
- Sauté the kale in a little bit of olive oil and a tiny pinch of salt. Once it begins to wilt down, add a splash of balsamic and continue to cook for about a minute longer. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mash the avocado on the toast and add a squeeze of lemon and some salt. Sprinkle with hemp seeds, if using. Top with the kale and the egg. Sprinkle on a little more salt & pepper, if you wish.