This spicy jalapeño margarita recipe is perfect for happy hour, Cinco de Mayo, or summer entertaining. Pass the tortilla chips, and enjoy!
We’re getting the weekend started a little early today with my favorite happy hour drink…the jalapeño margarita! It’s spicy, tart, slightly sweet, and super refreshing over ice. You only need 6 simple ingredients to make it, and it’s easy to stir together (no cocktail shaker required!). So what are you waiting for? Pass the tortilla chips, and enjoy!
Jalapeño Margarita Recipe Ingredients
To make this spicy margarita recipe, you need 6 simple ingredients:
- Tequila – Use any good-quality blanco tequila in this recipe. We like this brand, but feel free to use your favorite!
- A jalapeño pepper – Use anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the pepper. The more you use, the spicier it’ll be.
- Orange liqueur – You’ll see recipes that call for Cointreau and triple sec, but I love Grand Marnier here.
- Freshly squeezed lime juice – For the best results, squeeze your limes right before you make your cocktails.
- Something sweet – I sweeten mine with homemade simple syrup or freshly squeezed orange juice. Both are delicious!
- And ice! Because a great margarita is always on the rocks.
To make a lighter drink, fill your glass halfway with the jalapeño margarita mixture. Then, top it off with sparkling water.
Find the full recipe with measurements below.
Spicy Margarita Recipe Tips
- Taste and adjust. Whenever you make a cocktail at home, taste and adjust to find a balance of flavors you love. If you prefer a sweeter drink, add an extra splash of simple syrup or orange juice. For more tartness, squeeze in extra lime. If you want it spicier, add extra jalapeño slices and let it sit for a few more minutes. Mess with this recipe, and make it your own!
- If it’s too strong, let the ice begin to melt. If your jalapeño margarita tastes too strong when you first try it, let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature. As the ice melts, it will dilute the drink. If it’s still stiffer than you’d like it to be, top your glass with sparkling water or add extra orange juice.
- Salt the rim. Honestly, this cocktail tastes great on its own, but if you want to take it to the next level, salt the rim of your glass. To do this, rub the rim of an empty margarita glass with a lime wedge, and dip it in a small plate of coarse sea salt or kosher salt. Mix up the cocktails in a pitcher, fill your glass with ice, and pour the drink into your prepared glass. That’s it!
- Don’t forget the chips! No jalapeño margarita night is complete without tortilla chips and dip! I love to pair mine with tomatillo salsa, pico de gallo, or classic guac. If I’m in the mood for something fruity, I’ll make mango or pineapple salsa, too! This spicy margarita would also be fantastic with nachos, taquitos, or veggie tacos.
More Favorite Cocktail Recipes
If you love this spicy margarita recipe, try one of these tasty cocktails next:
- ¾ cup good tequila
- ¼ to ½ jalapeño pepper, plus extra slices for garnish
- ¼ cup Grand Marnier
- ½ cup fresh lime juice, plus lime slices for garnish
- ¼ cup simple syrup or fresh squeezed orange juice
- a few splashes of sparkling water
- handful of ice
- Pour the tequila into a mixing glass or small pitcher. Add the sliced jalapeño, ¼ to ½ of it, depending on how spicy you want your margaritas. Set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes (the longer you let the jalapeños infuse, the spicier it will be).
- Make the margaritas by mixing together the jalapeño-infused tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice and ¼ cup simple syrup or orange juice. Taste. If you’d like a spicier margarita, add more jalapeño and let it it sit a little longer. Pour into glasses and add lime slices and jalapeños for garnish. For a lighter margarita, fill the glasses ½ full and top with sparkling water.