Learn how to make cauliflower rice with this easy recipe! It's a yummy, low-carb substitute for regular rice in bowls, stir fries, burritos, and more.
Cauliflower rice! It’s seems like it’s everywhere and in everything, so I thought I would take a few minutes to “dive deep” on this phenomenon, especially because I keep using it, and now I can just link to this post in future recipes 🙂
So what is it? It’s simply cauliflower pulsed in a food processor until it forms into granules that are about the size of rice. Is it as good as rice? Not on its own, but it’s a great starting point health-wise and texture-wise. When it’s seasoned well and used in a recipe with other great flavors and textures going on, it IS delicious and you’ll feel great about getting more vegetables into your day!
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Stores often sell “riced” cauliflower in bags, but I prefer to make it myself because you never know how fresh those things are! Plus, it’s SO easy to make… here’s how I do it:
- Cut the cauliflower into chunks, including the cores.
- Place into a food processor.
- Pulse until the cauliflower resembles the texture of rice. Work in batches, if necessary, and be careful not to over-process or it’ll get mushy. If you don’t have a food processor, you can grate the cauliflower with a box grater.
After your cauliflower is “riced,” you can use it plain in any recipe that calls for raw cauliflower rice. Follow the directions in that specific recipe.
If you plan to use it as a side dish without a recipe, or if you want to sub it for regular rice, I recommend lightly cooking and seasoning it to take off the raw, often bitter, bite. See specific instructions in the recipe below.
Cauliflower Rice Recipes
Here are some of my favorite recipes that use riced cauliflower, or would be delicious with cauliflower in place of the regular rice:
- Mango Black Bean Burrito Bowl (pictured below)
- Red Curry Lemongrass Soup (pictured below)
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers (pictured below)
- Spiced Cauliflower Couscous with Roasted Chickpeas (pictured below)
- Mango Ginger Rice Bowl
- Turmeric Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Kimchi Rice Bowls
- Cilantro Lime Rice
More Plant-Based Essentials
If you love this recipe, try one of these other plant-based essentials next:
For more vegan recipes, check out this post!
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
For seasoned cauliflower rice:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- juice of 1/2 lime
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make sure your cauliflower is fully dry. Chop the cauliflower into large pieces. You can include the cores, but discard the leaves or save for another use. Place the cauliflower pieces in a food processor and pulse until it has the texture of rice. Work in batches if necessary and don’t over process or it will get mushy. Use in any recipe that calls specifically for riced cauliflower. Continue following that recipe’s instructions.
- If you plan to serve your cauliflower as a side dish or use it in place of regular rice, I recommend lightly cooking it and seasoning it to take off the raw bite. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the scallions and cauliflower and sauté until heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lime juice to help remove any bitterness from the raw cauliflower.