This hot toddy recipe is perfect for cold nights! It's cozy, warming, and bright, made with whiskey, lemon juice, ginger tea, and maple syrup.
How cute is this hot toddy?! It’s one of our favorite cocktails to make throughout the holiday season. Dressed up with orange slices, pomegranate seeds, and fresh thyme, it’s warming, festive, and bright. Mix one together, put on some smooth holiday jazz, light a candle or turn on your Christmas tree. You have the perfect recipe for a cozy night in!
Hot Toddy Recipe Ingredients
A famous cure for a sore throat or the sniffles, a classic hot toddy is made with hot water, whiskey, honey, and lemon juice. To elevate mine from home remedy to fun cocktail, I add a few unconventional ingredients to the recipe:
- Hot steeped ginger tea – Instead of using the traditional hot water, I make my hot toddy recipe with freshly brewed ginger tea. It adds an extra warming bite to the drink.
- Dark whiskey – Try rye, bourbon, or your favorite Irish whiskey. I’m a fan of Bulleit, Koval, and Black Box.
- Fresh lemon juice – It brightens up the dark flavors in this warming whiskey drink.
- Maple syrup – For sweetness. I love the maple flavor here, but honey is also delicious. It’s more traditional, too.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make a Hot Toddy
Making this hot toddy recipe couldn’t be simpler! Here’s what you need to do:
- First, steep the tea. Bring 8 ounces of water to a boil, pour them over a ginger tea bag, and allow it to steep for 3 to 5 minutes. The longer you steep the tea, the stronger the ginger flavor will be!
- Next, mix in the remaining ingredients. Pour the hot tea, whiskey, lemon juice, and maple syrup into a heat-resistant liquid measuring cup. Stir to combine and divide the mixture into two mugs.
- Then, taste and adjust. My #1 tip for making great cocktails at home? Adjust them to suit your tastes! If you want a sweeter hot toddy, add more maple or honey. Wish yours were brighter? Squeeze in extra lemon. Do you prefer a stronger drink? Stir in an extra splash of whiskey. Have fun finding a balance of flavors you love!
Finally, garnish and serve! If you want this hot toddy recipe to feel really fun and festive, you can’t forget the garnishes! Dress up your mug with orange slices, pomegranate seeds, fresh thyme, or lemon peel. Apple slices and warming spices, like clove studs, cinnamon sticks, or star anise, are nice here too.
More Favorite Cocktail Recipes
If you love this hot toddy recipe, try one of these cocktail recipes next:
- 8 ounces hot water
- 1 ginger tea bag
- 3 ounces whiskey, (We like Bulleit, Koval, or Black Box.)
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce maple syrup or honey
- For garnish: orange, apple, or lemon slices, pomegranates, fresh thyme, cinnamon stick, or clove studs
- In a mug, pour the hot water over the tea bag and steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Squeeze the tea bag and discard.
- Pour the tea, whisky, lemon juice, and maple syrup in to a liquid measuring glass, stir, and pour into 2 serving mugs or glasses.
- Adjust sweetener to taste. Serve with desired garnishes.
yes a great antidote to chill, in the best way too, so thank you, love all of these citrus flavors too, thank you
This recipe was amazing! We side by side tested it with another hot toddy recipe on a super snowy October day. This recipe won by a landslide!
Hi Laurie, I’m so thrilled it won! 🙂
Made this with Stash ginger tea and it was delightful! Also, love the glass mugs in the photo – mind telling me where they’re from!?
Hi Rachel, I’m so glad you enjoyed it! The mugs are from IKEA 🙂
Thank you Jeanine and Jack. Ginger Tea makes everything healthier and spicier. Love it!
Which ginger tea do you recommend? This sounds lovely for the snowy New Years we’ll be having!
Hi Corrie, I love Traditional Medicinals tea!
Such a perfect way to end 2018!