Learn how to make the BEST homemade hot chocolate! Rich, creamy, and deeply chocolatey, it's the perfect cozy treat for a cold winter night.
When the weather outside is frightful, there’s no better way to warm up than with a rich, creamy cup of homemade hot chocolate. Really, take it from us – last winter was a particularly snowy one here in Chicago, and we did a lot of shoveling. When our fingers and toes would start to tingle from the cold, I’d come inside and make this hot chocolate recipe. It’s thick and comforting, the perfect fortifying treat on a chilly winter day.
With the holidays right around the corner, I thought it would be a great time to share this recipe with you. Made with a melted chocolate bar and pure maple syrup, it’s far more flavorful than any hot cocoa mix. I’ll have it on repeat all winter long, and I hope you will too.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Dark chocolate – My #1 tip for making the best hot chocolate? Use a chocolate bar instead of cocoa powder! It gives this recipe a creamy texture and an extra-rich chocolate flavor. I like to use dark chocolate – 70% is my favorite. Choose a vegan chocolate bar to make this recipe vegan!
- Almond milk – Use store-bought, or make your own.
- Cinnamon and vanilla extract – For warm depth of flavor.
- Maple syrup – For sweetness.
- And a splash of bourbon – Totally optional, but a really fun touch for a cozy grown-up drink.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Hot Chocolate
This recipe is SO simple to make!
All you have to do is warm the almond milk over low heat, add the chopped chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon…
…and whisk until smooth and warmed through, about 15 minutes.
Pour in the maple syrup and bourbon, if using, and stir to combine. That’s it!
Serve in mugs with your favorite hot chocolate toppings. I like coconut whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings, but regular whipped cream or marshmallows would be delicious too.
More Cozy Winter Treats
If you love this recipe, try one of these cozy treats next:
- Mulled Wine
- Hot Toddy
- Chewy Molasses Cookies
- Easy Sugar Cookies
- Thumbprint Cookies
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Cinnamon Rolls
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, 70% cacao, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons bourbon, optional
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, optional, for serving
- In a small saucepan, heat the almond milk over low heat. Add the chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon, and whisk for 15 minutes, or until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth and warmed through.
- Add the maple syrup and bourbon, if using, and stir to combine. Serve hot with whipped cream or chocolate shavings, if desired.