Learn how to make the BEST homemade hot chocolate! Rich, creamy, and deeply chocolatey, it's the perfect cozy treat for a cold winter night.
When the weather outside is frightful, there’s no better way to warm up than with a rich, creamy cup of homemade hot chocolate. Really, take it from us – last winter was a particularly snowy one here in Chicago, and we did a lot of shoveling. When our fingers and toes would start to tingle from the cold, I’d come inside and make this hot chocolate recipe. It’s thick and comforting, the perfect fortifying treat on a chilly winter day.
With the holidays right around the corner, I thought it would be a great time to share this recipe with you. Made with a melted chocolate bar and pure maple syrup, it’s far more flavorful than any hot cocoa mix. I’ll have it on repeat all winter long, and I hope you will too.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Dark chocolate – My #1 tip for making the best hot chocolate? Use a chocolate bar instead of cocoa powder! It gives this recipe a creamy texture and an extra-rich chocolate flavor. I like to use dark chocolate – 70% is my favorite. Choose a vegan chocolate bar to make this recipe vegan!
- Almond milk – Use store-bought, or make your own.
- Cinnamon and vanilla extract – For warm depth of flavor.
- Maple syrup – For sweetness.
- And a splash of bourbon – Totally optional, but a really fun touch for a cozy grown-up drink.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Hot Chocolate
This recipe is SO simple to make!
All you have to do is warm the almond milk over low heat, add the chopped chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon…
…and whisk until smooth and warmed through, about 15 minutes.
Pour in the maple syrup and bourbon, if using, and stir to combine. That’s it!
Serve in mugs with your favorite hot chocolate toppings. I like coconut whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings, but regular whipped cream or marshmallows would be delicious too.
More Cozy Winter Treats
If you love this recipe, try one of these cozy treats next:
- Mulled Wine
- Hot Toddy
- Chewy Molasses Cookies
- Easy Sugar Cookies
- Thumbprint Cookies
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Cinnamon Rolls
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, 70% cacao, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons bourbon, optional
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, optional, for serving
- In a small saucepan, heat the almond milk over low heat. Add the chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon, and whisk for 15 minutes, or until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth and warmed through.
- Add the maple syrup and bourbon, if using, and stir to combine. Serve hot with whipped cream or chocolate shavings, if desired.
Wondering, did you use original or unsweetened almond milk?
I used unsweetened almond milk, but you can do either – you can reduce the maple syrup if using sweetened almond milk.
This was so rich and delicious! I cannot wait to make it when it’s not 71 degrees outside.
This is my first time making hot chocolate from scratch and it was a breeze. Will be making it myself going forward. Delicious!
Loved this recipe. SO easy and my stomach feels so much better with non dairy milk. I used almond milk, I’d love to try it again with cashew or oat! 🙂
Delicious! Thank you!
Delicious; creamy and chocolatey; easy to make; perfect for a snowy evening!! Did add extra bourbon!
So dark, rich, & creamy ~ and easy to make! Had to save half of mine for another time! Chocolate never tasted so smoothe! <3
So yummy and easy! I loved the touch of cinnamon for a little spice. I used very dark chocolate and unsweetened soy milk and it was delicious without being overly sweet.
Made for December cooking club… SO GOOD! I’m so glad that I tried this recipe out!
So easy and perfect to make with family over the holidays!