This delicious tomato sandwich is my veggie take on a classic BLT. A creamy white bean spread subs in for the bacon, giving this sandwich a tangy kick.
Best Tomato Sandwich Ingredients
When I first started thinking about making a tomato sandwich, my mind went immediately to a classic BLT. I love a faux BLT, and because I was never a bacon lover, just putting veggie things between bread is fine with me. My favorite version of a BLT sandwich is the crispy Shiitake BLT that’s on page 171 in the cookbook (it’s the closest to the real deal!). I also love this smoky marinated tempeh as the “meat.”
But this time, as I was deciding whether or not to “bacon” some coconut, Jack had the idea to call this a Bean-LT. The B in this version is the Bean spread that I used here instead of mayo. It’s thick, tangy, and so. darn. good. Here’s what’s in it:
- White beans make the creamy base.
- Olive oil adds richness.
- Garlic gives it a nice kick.
- And lemon juice and capers make it deliciously briny & tangy.
I finish this tomato sandwich with fresh tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, basil, and grainy Whole Foods Market Seeduction® bread. And a few pinches of smoked paprika add a little bacon-y smokiness.
What to Serve with this Tomato Sandwich
You could also pack it up for a weekday lunch. Just store the components separately and then assemble your sandwich right before you head out the door!
If you love this tomato sandwich recipe…
Heirloom Tomato Sandwich
- 1 ½ cups cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon capers
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices of toasted WFM Seeduction® bread
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- pinch of smoked paprika, optional
- sprinkle of hemp seeds, optional
- In a blender, puree the cannellini beans, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and capers. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill until ready to use.
- Assemble the sandwiches with the toasted bread, white bean puree, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, fresh basil, sea salt, pepper, a pinch of smoked paprika and a sprinkle of hemp seeds if desired.
This recipe was created in partnership with Whole Foods Market.