In the last handful of weeks there has been National Peanut Butter Day… then Pancake Day… now Banana Bread Day? Can the next one pretty please be national Arugula Day? Or Kale Day? And Quinoa Day has to be coming up soon, right? Give the food bloggers a fighting chance to stay thin for God’s sake…
But back to the holiday at hand… When I decided to create a vegan banana bread recipe, I tried to think of a unique spin, something interesting and out-of-the-box to contribute to such a monumental occasion, but when it comes to banana bread, I’m just such a purist. I only want to taste bananas, walnuts, and butter (I don’t actually use real butter, but still…).
About this vegan banana bread recipe
My recipe is simple, light, healthy, delicious, and also vegan. I use whole wheat or spelt flour to give this loaf some whole-grain power. In addition, I cut the sugar and oil down to a minimum because the bananas provide so much natural sweetness and moisture already. And finally, I top the whole thing with walnuts to add texture and omega-3s.
This healthy banana bread is perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. I like to freeze individual slices to have on hand for busy mornings.
If you make this healthy banana bread, please let me know in the comments! I love hearing from you.
- ¼ cup butter, vegan butter, or oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup almond milk or milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cup whole spelt flour or whole wheat flour
- ½ cup white spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1.5 cups)
- A few handfuls of chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray one loaf pan or two mini loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk the room-temperature butter with the sugar, milk, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Gently stir together the dry and wet mixtures. Fold in the mashed bananas and walnuts, if using. Don’t over-mix, stir until ingredients are just combined to avoid dense bread. Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s). Top with a few extra walnuts.
- Bake for 30-50 minutes depending on your oven. Bake mini-loaves for 25-30 minutes.