Stuck in a breakfast rut? Find over 60 healthy breakfast ideas below! With sweet, savory, easy & make-ahead options, we have something for everyone.
And just like that, it’s back-to-school time! I’m lining up the fall recipe calendar, getting ready to test, shoot, and share a slew of new ideas. For us, this season will be busy, and I know that it will be for many of you too. Today, I’m sharing my favorite healthy breakfast ideas to get these jam-packed days off to a great start. You’ll find ones that are perfect for making ahead and taking on the go, ones that are quick & easy to whip up in the morning, and even a few for days when you have a bit more time to linger over breakfast.
Below, I share over 60 healthy breakfast recipes, divided into 11 (yes, 11!) categories: oats, eggs, smoothies, bowls, quick breads, pancakes & waffles, breakfast tacos, breakfast cookies, toast, muffins & scones, and bars & balls. Whether you’re someone who craves something savory or sweet first thing in the morning, or whether you like to enjoy breakfast at home or grab it & go, you’re sure to find some healthy breakfast ideas you love.
Healthy Breakfast Oats
Oats are loaded with fiber, so they’re a great healthy breakfast! If you’re like me, though, you might run the risk of getting stuck in an oat rut. In college, I ate plain oatmeal every day. After four years, I couldn’t stand the stuff. To avoid oat burnout, make sure to vary your toppings! Any nut butter, fruit, dried fruit, yogurt, nut, seed, or jam is fair game. Change up how you prepare your oats too. Make baked oatmeal or homemade granola, or prep a big batch of overnight oats for quick breakfasts throughout the week.
- Overnight Oats – 4 Ways
- Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Savory Porridge: Butternut Squash & Ginger + Miso Avocado
- Strawberry Rhubarb Overnight Oat Parfaits
- Apple Cinnamon Crunch Overnight Oats
- Overnight Oats with Blueberry Chia Jam
- My Go-To Healthy Granola Recipe
Egg Breakfast Recipes
If you’re someone who wants to prioritize protein in your breakfast, egg recipes are a great choice. Breakfast scrambles, omelets, and plain fried eggs can get repetitive, so try one of the recipes below to change things up. Make individual frittatas in muffins tins for a portable breakfast option. On days when you have more time, sit down to a big breakfast casserole or shakshuka with your partner or family.
- How to Make a Frittata + 4 Variations
- Healthy Breakfast Burritos
- Healthy Breakfast Casserole
- Veggie Frittata Muffins
- Breakfast Panzanella
- Shakshuka with Spinach & Harissa
- Butternut Squash Breakfast Hash
Healthy Breakfast Smoothies
Smoothies are some of the best breakfast recipes, as they pack a big serving of fruits and veggies into your first meal of the day. Through years of making smoothies, I’ve found that a handful of spinach is almost undetectable, so toss some in to boost the nutrients in a fruit smoothie! Alternatively, blend in a superfood like hemp seeds, nut butter, matcha, or maca powder for an extra healthy kick.
Make your smoothie the night before and store it in the fridge for a grab & go breakfast, or prep individual smoothie packs. Portion out the fruit, veggie, and superfood ingredients for a single smoothie into a container, prepping for as many days as you like at once. Store containers in the freezer, and in the morning, blend a frozen pack with almond milk or juice. Enjoy!
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Creamy Avocado Smoothie
- Coffee Smoothie
- Healthy Green Smoothie
- Healthy Breakfast Smoothies
- Mango Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Superfood Sunshine Smoothie
- Matcha Vanilla Smoothie
Healthy Breakfast Bowls
If you’re looking for some new, out-of-the-box breakfast ideas, a breakfast bowl might be the thing for you. In this category, almost anything goes. When I’m making a savory bowl, I top a grain or veggie “rice” with a soft-boiled egg, vegetables, and a flavorful sauce. My sweet bowls vary widely. Sometimes I’m in the mood for chia pudding or a smoothie bowl. On other days, I’ll top quinoa with almond milk, cinnamon, and fresh fruit and call it a meal.
- Avocado & Egg Brown Rice Bowls
- Farmers Market Breakfast Bowls
- Easy Chia Pudding
- Berry Superfood Smoothie Bowl
- Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Rainbow Chard, Wheatberries, & Soft Boiled Eggs
Quick Bread Breakfast Recipes
Moist, comforting, and lightly sweet, quick bread is a delectable breakfast option. In the summer, I almost always have individual slices of zucchini bread in my freezer. In the fall and winter, pumpkin and banana bread take its place. Enjoy a thick slice of your favorite quick bread on its own, or top it with a dollop of Greek yogurt and seasonal fruit for extra staying power.
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Best Zucchini Bread
- Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Cranberry Nut & Seed Loaf
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Yogurt Pound Cake
Pancake & Waffle Breakfast Ideas
Pancakes and waffles may not be something you can whip up every morning of the week, but unlike their cousin French toast, these breakfast recipes keep well if you make them ahead and freeze them. So double your weekend batch of pancakes or waffles, and freeze the leftovers for busy mornings! When you’re ready to eat, pop them in the toaster or microwave to thaw.
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes (Vegan)
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes
- Vegan Pumpkin Waffles
- Vegan Carrot Waffles
- Best Homemade Waffles (Vegan)
Healthy Breakfast Tacos
After years of living in Austin, breakfast tacos are my favorite healthy breakfast. Most often, I scramble eggs with spinach and top them with avocado, tomatillo salsa, and pico de gallo, if I have it on hand. Otherwise, I add roasted veggies like sweet potatoes, shiitakes, or cherry tomatoes to my egg filling. I like to prep these ahead of time, so all I have to do in the morning is scramble up a couple of eggs and load everything into tortillas.
- Healthy Green Breakfast Tacos
- Avocado Tomatillo Breakfast Tacos
- Shiitake “Bacon” & Egg Breakfast Tacos
- Roasted Sweet Potato & Poblano Breakfast Tacos
Healthy Breakfast Cookies
Breakfast cookies are the perfect on-the-go morning treat. Ingredients like flax, oats, nuts, seeds, and even quinoa fill them with protein, healthy fats, and fiber. In addition to the fruit and veggie variations listed below, I love the Banana Bread Breakfast Cookies on page 35 of Love and Lemons Every Day. These breakfast recipes are great ones to make ahead of time and freeze for busy mornings. To thaw, pop them in the microwave for 8-10 seconds, and head out the door!
Toast Breakfast Ideas
If you’re looking for tried & true easy breakfast ideas, toast is the thing for you! Pop a slice of whole grain bread in the toaster, and load it up with your favorite seasonal toppings. I like to start with a creamy spread and then add a layer of roasted or raw veggies, fruit, and/or fresh herbs. I’m a diehard fan of avocado toast, but hummus, ricotta, and nut butter are good starting points for making delicious toast too.
- Artichoke Avocado Toast
- Brussels Sprout Salad Avocado Toast
- Sweet Potato Avocado Toast
- Avocado Almondaise Toasts
- Heirloom Tomato Toasts
Healthy Breakfast Muffins and Scones
When I was growing up, chocolate chip muffins were a breakfast staple in our house. Muffins are still one of my favorite ways to start the day, but now, I make my morning muffins a bit healthier, using whole grain flour, fruit mix-ins, and natural sweeteners like maple syrup whenever possible. Like other healthy breakfast baked goods, muffins and scones freeze well. I like to keep a frozen stash on hand at all times!
- Lemon Muffins with Chia Seeds
- Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Coconut Mango Muffins
- Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins or Apple Muffins
- Pumpkin Spiced Corn Muffins
- Gluten Free Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Blueberry Scones
- Vegan Raspberry Scones
Bars & Balls Breakfast Ideas
If you’re someone who loves to start your day with a granola bar, try swapping out the packaged kind for ones you make at home. All of these recipes are simple, made with good-for-you ingredients that combine to make delicious, nutritious morning treats. Like baked goods, these bars & balls keep well in the freezer, so prep a batch to have on hand for easy healthy breakfasts and snacks!
- Carrot Cake Bliss Balls
- Pistachio Oat Squares
- No-Bake Almond Butter Oatmeal Bites
- Peanut Butter Goji Granola Bars
Looking for more healthy breakfast ideas?
Check out this list of my favorite brunch recipes, or head to the breakfast section of our recipe index. Then, try my favorite strategies for prepping dinner and packing lunch, and check out this post for some great healthy lunch recipes!
Healthy Breakfast Ideas: Veggie Breakfast Tacos
- 1 large yellow tomato, diced
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ to 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- juice from ½ lime
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 green pepper, cored, stem removed, and diced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups arugula or spinach, chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tortillas (corn, flour, wheat - whatever you like)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, more for garnish
- 1 avocado, sliced
- lime wedges
- Make the Salsa: In a small bowl, combine the tomato, onion, cilantro, serrano, garlic, lime juice and salt. Chill until ready to use.
- In a small nonstick skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the green pepper, scallions and a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Scoop a large spoonful of the salsa into the pepper mixture and stir. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Brush a large nonstick stick skillet lightly with olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add the eggs, let them cook for a few seconds and then stir. Add the green pepper mixture to the eggs. Continue to stir and scramble the eggs until just set. Remove from the pan from the heat while the eggs are slightly runny and stir in the arugula and half of the extra cilantro.
- Assemble the tacos with the egg mixture, a scoop of salsa, the remaining cilantro and a few slices of avocado. Finish with a squeeze of lime and a pinch of salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.