I make a lot of impromptu tacos. We not only have taco Tuesdays around here, but sometimes taco Wednesdays and/or taco Thursdays. When I’m looking for something quick I usually reach for tortillas, no matter what day of the week it might be. I keep them in the freezer, so they’re always ready.
Except this particular night – no tortillas, but I had some sprouted pitas. This wasn’t originally going to be a post, but these turned out so pretty and delicious. And who doesn’t need a quick dinner idea?
I roasted chopped sweet potatoes and zucchini and tossed them with dried harissa spice. If you can’t find dried harissa (I have a jar of it from Whole Foods) you can use it in paste form. If that’s not convenient for you, see the notes at the bottom of the recipe for some other alternatives.
I mixed in diced avocado because I just love avocado… and a sprinkle of hemp seeds for protein. I also made a quick spiced yogurt sauce to bring it all together.
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried harissa spice (see note below)
- 2 pitas, sliced in half
- 1 small avocado, diced
- A few salad greens (ie, baby arugula)
- Salt & pepper
- Optional: a few pickled onions, sprinkle of hemp seeds, red chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried harissa spice
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- Squeeze of lemon
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 small red onion
- white wine vinegar (enough to fill a jar of onions)
- a few pinches of cane sugar and salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss chopped sweet potato cubes and arrange on a baking sheet with parchment. Toss with a little olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast until golden brown (25-30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, chop your zucchini into about 1-inch pieces. Place on a towel to dry out a bit before you roast it. Halfway through the sweet potato roasting time, toss zucchini with olive oil, salt and pepper and pop it into the oven. Roast the zucchini until golden brown and tender but not mushy (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile stir together the ingredients for the yogurt sauce. Set aside.
- Remove sweet potatoes & zucchini from the oven, and toss them together with some of the dried harissa spice.
- Warm pitas (in the oven, toaster, or microwave), then fill with the veggies, avocado, pickled onion, hemp seeds, and serve the yogurt sauce on the side.
Vegan option: skip the yogurt and just make a paste from the olive oil and harissa. Add it into your pita to taste (it can be spicy).