This easy grilled zucchini recipe is the perfect summer side dish! The squash is tender and flavorful—delicious with whatever you're grilling.
This grilled zucchini recipe is an easy side dish that I make on repeat all summer long. It’s a breeze to put together—slice up some fresh zucchini, toss it with a savory blend of seasonings, and grill until it’s tender and charred, but still has some bite. No soggy grilled zucchini here! I finish it with a handful of herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice. The recipe highlights what I love most about seasonal cooking. It’s simple and quick, but the fresh ingredients make it delicious nonetheless.
Grilled Zucchini Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy grilled zucchini recipe:
- Zucchini, of course! Steer clear of very large zucchini when you’re making this recipe. Small to medium squash will have a sweeter flavor and a firmer texture, which makes them great for grilling.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – It helps the zucchini soften and char on the grill.
- Garlic powder, salt, and pepper – This simple seasoning gives the veggies delicious savory flavor.
- Fresh parsley or basil – They make this dish look gorgeous, and they add a burst of freshness that takes it over the top.
- Lemon wedges – Squeeze them over the grilled zucchini for a pop of bright flavor!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
I love my grilled zucchini with lemon and fresh herbs, but that’s by no means the only way to season it! If you like, put your own twist on this recipe. After grilling…
- Add red pepper flakes for heat.
- Skip the lemon juice, and drizzle the squash with a balsamic vinegar reduction for a sweet and tangy finish.
- Top it with dollops of pesto.
- Sprinkle it with feta or Parmesan cheese. Vegan Parmesan would also be great!
- No fresh herbs handy? Toss the cooked zucchini with pinches of Italian seasoning.
- Or serve it with romesco sauce.
Let me know what variations you try!
Q: How do you cut zucchini for grilling?
My favorite way to cut zucchini for grilling is into 1/4-inch-thick planks. This shape maximizes the surface area you have for seasoning and charring the zucchini, which makes it super flavorful.
How to Grill Zucchini
My method for how to grill zucchini is simple, and it works just as nicely on a grill pan as it does on an outdoor grill.
Start by preheating the grill or grill pan to medium heat. You want it to be hot when you add the summer squash!
While the grill preheats, prep the zucchini. Slice the zucchini vertically into 1/4-inch-thick planks. Then, place it on a large plate or baking sheet and drizzle it with olive oil. Sprinkle with the garlic powder and pinches of salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
Next, grill the zucchini. Place the planks, cut side down, on the hot grill grates. Cook until grill marks form on the first side. Flip, and cook until the zucchini is charred on both sides. It should be tender but still have some bite. Careful not to overcook it. No one likes mushy zucchini!
Finally, season to taste and serve. Remove the vegetables from the grill, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice before digging in. Enjoy!
How to Serve Grilled Zucchini
This grilled zucchini recipe is a delicious vegetable side dish. Pair it with a simply cooked protein or classic cookout fare like veggie burgers, black bean burgers, or vegan hot dogs. You could also serve it alongside a summer pasta or pizza. We love it with this pesto pizza, this cherry tomato pasta, and this pesto pasta recipe.
Leftovers keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I love having them on hand to toss into simple meals. Chop up leftover grilled zucchini and tuck it into an omelette, or use it in a veggie frittata. It’s a great addition to veggie sandwiches and salads too. You’ll have no trouble polishing it off!
More Favorite Zucchini Recipes
If you love this grilled zucchini, try one of these delicious zucchini recipes next:
- Roasted Zucchini
- Baked Zucchini Chips
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Zucchini Fritters
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Salad
- Zucchini Noodles
- Or any of these 35 Best Zucchini Recipes!
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick planks
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Lemon wedges, for squeezing
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium.
- Place the zucchini on a large plate or tray, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with the garlic powder and pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Grill for 1 to 3 minutes per side, or until char marks form and the zucchini is tender but still has some bite.
- Remove from the grill and squeeze with lemon juice. Garnish with fresh herbs, season to taste, and serve.