Chile-lime Grilled Veggie Skewers - mango, zucchini and red pepper are SO good on the grill. Serve them on skewers or wrap them in tortillas with tomatillo salsa. Perfect for memorial day or 4th of July cookouts.
Cookouts are not always a vegetarian’s best friend. Over the years, I’ve eaten more dry cardboard-flavored Boca burgers than I care to remember. And for no good reason other than I suppose most of the parties we used to go to were single-dude cookouts. You know the kind: burgers, buns, and beer. Done.
Since my younger veggie days, I’ve learned a few things:
#1: Veggies are (of course) amazing on the grill.
and #2: Make foodie friends and life will be a lot tastier.
Vegetarian or not, these would make a delicious addition to any summer bbq.
Feel free to change this up with using whatever veggies you wish – just be sure to choose ones with similar cooking times when skewering them together. (or make separate skewers if you’re not sure).
grilled veggie skewers
- big handful of baby bella mushrooms
- ½ red onion
- 1 mango
- 1 red pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- splash of agave syrup or honey
- ½-1 teaspoon cumin, chile powder, smoked paprika, or a combo of any
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- salt & pepper
- extra lime slices
- roasted tomatillo salsa from this recipe
- queso fresco
- avocado slices
- If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before you start grilling so they don't burn.
- Whisk together the chile lime oil, set aside.
- Preheat your grill (or grill pan).
- Chop veggies so that they are somewhat uniform in size and thread them onto the skewers. Sprinkle them with some salt and liberally brush the veggies with the chile-lime oil.
- Grill for a few minutes on each side, until the mushrooms are cooked through and a nice char has formed on the edges of the veggies. (About 10-12 minutes total, depending on the size of your veggies and the heat of your grill).
- Remove from heat and brush them with the remainder of the oil.
- optional: Serve with warm tortillas, tomatillo salsa, cheese and/or avocado slices.
Useful details. Hope to see more good posts in the future.