Tender, juicy, smoky, and sweet, these easy grilled tomatoes are a knockout summer side dish! Italian dressing and fresh basil take them over the top.
Have you tried grilled tomatoes? I hadn’t until just recently, instead reaching for veggies like sweet corn, mushrooms, and zucchini whenever I fired up the grill. But a few weeks ago, I brought a bag of bright red romas home from the market. A variety of paste tomatoes, they’re firmer and denser than the heirloom tomatoes that I like to add to salads at this time of year. So, on a night when I was grilling veggie burgers for dinner, I decided to try grilling the tomatoes too.
Seriously, I had no idea what I was missing! Grilled tomatoes are tender, juicy, and all around delicious. The grill brings out their natural sweetness and infuses them with smoky flavor. We’re happy devouring them on their own, hot from the grill. But, if you want to kick them up a notch, a drizzle of our Italian dressing, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, and a shower of fresh basil will transform them into a knockout summer side dish.
How to Make Grilled Tomatoes
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise, then drizzle or brush the cut sides with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Another tip: It’s very important that the grill is hot before you add the tomatoes. This helps prevent them from sticking. Brush the grill grates with oil and place the tomatoes, cut side down, on the grill. Grill until grill marks form and the tomato halves release from the grill grates, then flip and cook until they are charred on the second side.
- Finally, serve! Transfer to a serving platter and serve with whatever seasonings you like. Enjoy!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
What to Serve with Grilled Tomatoes
These grilled tomatoes are fantastic on their own, but they’re even better with a few simple seasonings to jazz them up. Try serving them with drizzles of Italian dressing, fresh herbs, and grated Parmesan or vegan Parmesan cheese. We also love them with Greek dressing, crumbled feta, and fresh mint as well as squeezes of lemon juice, olive oil, and za’atar. You could even turn them into a riff on Caprese salad by drizzling them with balsamic vinegar and dotting them with fresh mozzarella and little basil leaves. The options are endless!
Serve the tomatoes alongside any protein you like, with some good crusty bread for sopping up their flavorful juices. They also pair nicely with a summery pasta, such as this easy pesto pasta, or with classic cookout fare like black bean burgers or portobello mushroom burgers.
More Favorite Grilling Recipes
If you love these grilled tomatoes, try one of these easy grilling recipes next:
- Mixed Grilled Vegetables
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Easy Grilled Mushrooms
- Grilled Eggplant
- Perfect Grilled Zucchini
- Grilled Watermelon
- Grilled Peaches
- Or any of these 31 Best Grill Recipes!
Can’t get enough summer tomatoes? Same! Check out this post for 50 Recipes to Make with Fresh Tomatoes!
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise. Drizzle the cut sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with olive oil and place the tomatoes on the grill, cut side down. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes, or until grill marks form. Flip and grill for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender but not collapsing.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a serving platter. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with Italian dressing. If desired, top with grated Parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.