I might be from the land of meat and potatoes, but you all know how that my heart lies with the green stuff. I rarely eat potatoes, but I just couldn’t pass up these little cuties. And since it’s summer, I felt I needed to share a true picnic/cookout side dish.
These little ones grill up so well – they cook through without having to boil them first, and they get that nice charred edge. Off the grill, I drizzled them with a lemony dijon dressing. I let that soak in for a bit and then tossed them peppery arugula, pickled red onions, capers and chives. The end result… bright & tangy, filling but still light. I might just be eating a lot more potato salads this summer.
We ate this alongside some grilled salmon. The leftover potatoes were even better the next day – I snacked on them for lunch, and then repurposed what was left for a second’s night dinner… I made full-meal salads by adding more arugula, smoked salmon, chopped cucumbers, pine nuts and a bit of the dressing that I had leftover.
grilled potato & arugula salad
- 1 pound little potatoes, sliced in half
- salt, pepper
- olive oil, for roasting/grilling
- a few big handfuls of arugula
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1-2 tablespoons capers
- lemon juice and zest
- ½ small red onion
- a good splash of sherry vinegar
- generous pinches of salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ -1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- squeeze of lemon
- Slice potatoes in half and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the red onions with sherry vinegar and salt. Chill while you make everything else (or make ahead, the longer they sit the better).
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients at the bottom of a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a grill pan* to high heat and brush with oil. Place the potatoes, cut side down and let them cook without moving them until nice char marks start to form (flip one to check).
- Flip them, add a good squeeze of lemon juice and continue cooking until roasted on the outside and tender in the middle. Reduce heat and cover if necessary (my grill pan doesn't have a cover, but we placed a baking sheet over it). I cooked my 1" potatoes for about 20-25 minutes total.
- Transfer cooked potatoes to the large bowl with the dressing and toss to coat. Let cool and toss with arugula, onions, capers, chives and lemon zest.
- Taste and add more dressing to your liking. Serve at room temp, or make ahead and chill.