This grilled pineapple recipe is a fun burger topping or summer side dish. Cooked in a quick chili-lime marinade, it's tangy, smoky, juicy, and sweet.
When you make grilled pineapple, something magical happens. The already-juicy fruit becomes even juicier, and its sugars caramelize and char against the grill grates. You end up with grilled pineapple rings that are smoky, tart, tender, and sweet. To be honest, if I had to pick between eating a slice of regular pineapple or a slice of grilled pineapple, I’d take the grilled pineapple every time. It’s just that good.
How to Grill Pineapple
Here’s the good news: this recipe cooks up in no time! Once you have the grill going, it’ll be ready in under 10 minutes.
The bad news? You do have to cut the pineapple into rings first. Slice off the tough outer skin, slice the fruit crosswise into rounds, and use a small cookie cutter or paring knife to cut out the core. You could also take a shortcut and buy pre-cut cored pineapple at the store.
- Next, you’ll make a quick marinade. In a small bowl, whisk together avocado oil, lime juice, chili powder, and salt. You can use as much or as little chili powder as you like, depending on whether or not you want the pineapple to be spicy.
- Then, preheat the grill. While it warms up, brush the pineapple rings with the marinade.
- Finally, cook! Spray or brush the grill with oil and cook the pineapple rings for 3-4 minutes per side, or until grill marks form.
That’s it! If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can make this recipe on a grill pan instead.
Grilled Pineapple Recipe Serving Suggestions
This grilled pineapple recipe is a perfect summer side dish. Serve it with classic cookout fare like BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches, coleslaw, and corn on the cob, or with a protein of your choice. It would also be a great addition to a Tex Mex or Mexican-inspired meal. Try pairing it with veggie fajitas or tacos with a side of black beans or my black bean and corn salad.
Jack and I love using this grilled pineapple as burger topping too. Pile it onto your favorite veggie burger, or try one of these fun combinations:
- If you like smoky flavors… Start with this veggie burger and a good bun. Add the grilled pineapple, grilled onions, and a slather of chipotle sauce.
- If you like zesty flavors… Make my Easy Black Bean Burger. Pile on the pineapple, pickled onions and/or pickled jalapeños, and a scoop of homemade guac.
How do you like to serve grilled pineapple? Let me know in the comments!
More Favorite Grilling Recipes
If you love this recipe, try grilling one of these fruits or veggies next:
For more ideas, check out these 31 Best Grill Recipes!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinches of chili powder
- 1 pineapple, cut, cored, and sliced into rings
- Cooking spray or additional avocado oil for brushing the grill
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. In a small bowl, mix the oil, lime juice, honey, salt, and chili powder and brush onto the pineapple.
- Spray or brush the grill with oil, then grill the pineapple 3 to 4 minutes per side or until char marks form.