Learn how to make perfectly grilled onions! Sweet, tender, and full of umami flavor, they're a delicious side dish or topping for burgers, tacos, and more.
I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to share a recipe for grilled onions! I make them all the time in the summer. They pair well with almost anything, they’re easy and inexpensive, and they just so happen to be delicious, too.
If you’ve never had grilled onions, I’m so excited for you to try this recipe. As the onions cook, their natural sugars caramelize on the grill, so they end up with a sweet, umami flavor and irresistible char. Serve them as a side dish, or top them onto your next taco or veggie burger. Happy grilling!
How to Grill Onions
To make this grilled onions recipe, you’ll just need 4 ingredients: red onions, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Start by slicing the onions. Place them on a cutting board and slice them in half lengthwise. Then, cut each half into 1-inch thick wedges.
- Next, preheat the grill. While it warms up, season the onion wedges with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Finally, cook! Grill the onions for 4-5 minutes per side, until char marks form and the onions are tender.
….and that’s it! These grilled onions couldn’t be simpler to make.
Grilled Onions Serving Suggestions
Now that you know how to grill onions, you’ll start making them left and right! They’re such an easy way to add depth and complexity to summer cooking, and they’re amazingly versatile. Here are a few of my favorite ways to use them:
- As a side dish. Serve them on their own, or toss them with other grilled veggies like zucchini or potatoes for a kick of umami flavor.
- In fajitas. Grill up peppers, onions, and portobello mushrooms to make my easy vegetarian fajitas! If you have leftover fajita veggies, top them onto a burrito bowl the next day.
- In tacos. They’d be a great addition to my Vegetarian Tacos with Avocado Sauce.
- On a veggie burger. Like caramelized onions, grilled onions are a knockout burger fixing. I especially love them on this black bean burger with grilled pineapple and chipotle sauce.
- In a sandwich. Try adding them to your next grilled cheese!
- On pizza. Sweet and savory grilled onions are one of my all-time favorite toppings. Add them to a homemade pizza, and you won’t believe how good it tastes.
How do you like to serve grilled onions? Let me know in the comments!
More Favorite Grilling Recipes
If you loved this grilled onions recipe, try grilling one of these fruits or veggies next:
For more grilling ideas, check out these 31 Best Grill Recipes!
- 2 red onions, sliced into wedges
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. In a medium bowl, toss the onions with drizzles of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Grill the onions for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until char marks form and the onions are tender.