We can't get enough of this easy grilled asparagus recipe! Lightly charred and tender, it's a delicious side dish or addition to pastas, salads, and more.
I love preparing asparagus in all sorts of ways – blanched, roasted, sautéed, raw – but grilled asparagus will always be my favorite. It’s tender and juicy, with a lightly charred flavor that makes it completely irresistible.
Even if you’re an asparagus skeptic, I encourage you to try this grilled asparagus recipe. It’s actually what first got Jack to start liking asparagus, thanks to the veggies’ crisp-tender texture and smoky depth of flavor. Who knows? You could end up loving it too!
Below, you’ll find my go-to method for how to grill asparagus, along with my best grilled asparagus recipes and serving suggestions. Asparagus season is fleeting, so make sure to try it while you can. Right now, it’s crisp, snappy, and flavorful – perfect for drizzling with olive oil and tossing on the grill.
How to Grill Asparagus
Ready to learn how to grill asparagus? Here’s what you need to do:
- First, trim the bottom of the asparagus spears to remove the woody ends. You can trim the spears with a knife, or use your hands to break them. Hold the end of a spear in one hand, and bend the spear until it snaps. It should break in just the right spot – where the woody part ends and the tender part begins. Repeat with the remaining spears!
- Then, toss the trimmed asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Next, cook! Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat, and grill the spears for 6 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
That’s it! The asparagus is ready when it’s fork-tender and lightly charred. Remove it from the heat, and enjoy!
For an extra boost of flavor, grill lemon halves alongside the asparagus. Drizzle the cut sides with olive oil, season them with salt and pepper, and grill the halves cut-side-down until grill marks form. When you’re ready to eat, squeeze the charred lemon juice over the asparagus spears. It’s so simple and delicious!
Find the complete recipe at the bottom of this post.
Grilled Asparagus Serving Suggestions
This grilled asparagus recipe is an easy side dish that goes well with just about anything! Pair it with your favorite protein or classic cookout fare like veggie burgers, portobello mushroom burgers, or BBQ jackfruit sandwiches. Serve it simply, with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice, or dress it up with a punchy sauce like chimichurri, pesto or vegan pesto, or tahini sauce.
Grilled asparagus is also a great addition to salads, pastas, and more! Here are a few of my favorite ways to use it when I’m not serving it as a side dish:
- In the Millet Pilaf with Herbs and Grilled Asparagus on page 25 of The Love and Lemons Cookbook or the Farro Salad with Grilled Asparagus pictured above.
- In any simple grain salad! Make your own by tossing chopped grilled asparagus with cooked quinoa or farro, pickled onions, feta or shaved Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, pine nuts, and lemon vinaigrette.
- Over creamy polenta with roasted chickpeas and drizzles of pesto.
- With pasta! I especially love to add chopped grilled asparagus to my Easy Pesto Pasta recipe.
How do you like to serve grilled asparagus? Let me know in the comments!
More Favorite Grilling Recipes
If you loved learning how to grill asparagus, try one of these easy grilling recipes next:
- Perfect Grilled Zucchini
- Grilled Avocado with Veggie Ceviche
- Mixed Grilled Vegetables
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Easy Fajitas
- Vegan Burrito Bowl
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges*, optional, for squeezing
- Lemon Vinaigrette, optional
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Toss the asparagus spears with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and grill for 6 to 8 minutes, or until charred but still bright green, flipping or rolling once.
- Squeeze with lemon, or drizzle with lemon vinaigrette, and serve.