This green bean salad recipe is super easy to make, but it's still delicious and complex. It's perfect for the holidays or dinner any night of the week!
I am so excited to share this green bean salad recipe with all of you! I first made it way back in the summer, on a day when I had a gorgeous bag of string beans in the fridge. They were long, slender, sweet, and snappy, and I knew I had to find a special way to use them.
Each year, I enjoy green beans throughout the summer and fall. But no matter what season it is or what dish I’m making, they always remind me of Thanksgiving and my family’s classic green bean casserole. So as I pondered how to use my pristine green beans, I started to think about the holidays. Could I make an easy, fresh green bean casserole alternative? I wanted it to be simple, but still exciting and delicious.
I made this green bean salad recipe for the first time that day, and I’ve been in love with it ever since. It features one of my all-time favorite ingredient combinations: green beans + tarragon + Dijon mustard. The peppery mustard plays off the beans’ sweetness, and the aromatic tarragon adds a licorice-like flavor that’s surprising and complex. They make this simple salad downright irresistible. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Green Bean Salad Recipe Ingredients
I told you this green bean salad recipe was simple, right? It comes together with just 8 ingredients:
- Green beans, of course! If you can, use a mix of green beans and wax beans in this salad. The blend of colors is so pretty in the final dish.
- Radicchio – Its bitter flavor adds complexity to this simple salad. I love the pop of purple, too!
- Red onion – For sharp depth of flavor. Slice it paper thin so that it softens and mingles with the other ingredients.
- Goat cheese – Its creamy texture is fantastic here, but if you’re vegan, feel free to skip it.
- Toasted nuts – Walnuts and almonds add delicious crunch and nutty flavor.
- Tarragon – One of my favorite fresh herbs! It’s especially delicious with fresh green beans and mustard.
- Honey mustard dressing – This sweet and tangy homemade dressing ties the whole salad together.
- And flaky sea salt – To make all the flavors pop!
Blanch the green beans until they’re crisp-tender and vibrant green. Immerse them in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Then, drain them and blot them dry.
Add the green beans to a bowl, and toss them with the radicchio, onion, and a few spoonfuls of the dressing. Arrange the mixture on a platter or in a serving bowl, and top it with small dollops of goat cheese, the nuts, and tarragon. Drizzle it all with more dressing, season with flaky sea salt, and enjoy!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Green Bean Salad Serving Suggestions
This green bean salad recipe would be a lovely addition to any dinner. Pair it with your favorite protein, cozy stuffed acorn squash, creamy polenta, eggplant Parmesan, or a big bowl of pasta. It’d be fantastic with any of these pasta recipes:
- Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
- Butternut Squash Ravioli
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Easy Baked Ziti
- Best Vegetarian Lasagna
This green bean salad would also be delicious as part of a holiday meal. It’d offer a fresh contrast to classic side dishes like sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy. For more holiday side dish recipes, check out this post. Don’t forget the pumpkin pie for dessert!
More Favorite Fall Salads
If you love this green bean salad recipe, try one of these fall salads next:
- Wheat Berry Salad
- Pear Salad with Balsamic and Walnuts
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Pomegranate Salad with Cider Dressing
- Butternut Squash Salad
- Citrus Salad with Fennel and Avocado
- Kale Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing
- Homemade Caesar Salad
Green Bean Salad
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- ½ head radicchio, sliced into strips
- Scant ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- Honey Mustard Dressing, for drizzling
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- ¼ cup tarragon
- Flaky sea salt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and set a bowl of ice water nearby. Drop the green beans into the boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes. Remove the beans and immediately immerse in the ice water long enough to cool completely, about 15 seconds. Drain and place on paper towels to dry.
- Transfer the beans to a bowl and toss with the radicchio, onion, and a few spoonfuls of the dressing.
- Arrange on a platter and top with small dollops of goat cheese, the walnuts, almonds, and tarragon. Drizzle with more dressing, season to taste with flaky salt, and serve.
This is so good, I keep making it over and over again. Simple, delicious and a great way to showcase our fresh garden green beans. Have made it fro friends and they love it too!
Added thinly sliced radishes in place of the tarragon and pumpkin seeds in place of the chopped nuts.
I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed it so much!
This salad will work perfectly with my Thanksgiving menu except for the mustard dressing What other salad dressing do you recommend that doesn’t have mustard.
very nice salad, a nice change for me from lettuce based salad