It’s been so inspired by the bounties of spring veggies that have been available lately. I think I’m the only person on the internet that has not gotten my hands on any ramps this season (do they even grow in texas?), but I really can’t complain because I still have tons of amazing options.
They key to any great salad is a variety of tastes, textures and colors. Although I find that sometimes it’s easier to come up with new ideas if I set some kind of limitation. This particular day I had leeks, green beans, and dandelion greens I wanted to use. Which gave me the idea to go with an all-green theme… which helped draw my attention to the half-avocado leftover from breakfast, the pistachios in the back of the pantry, and the fresh mint growing in my yard.
I served this for dinner alongside some grilled salmon… if there were leftovers it would have been a great lunch the next day.
green bean & avocado quinoa salad
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, lightly toasted
- splashes of olive oil
- handful of green beans (thin ones)
- ½ cup leeks
- juice of 1 lemon & lemon zest
- big handful of dandelion greens (or spinach or arugula)
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- a few sprigs of fresh mint
- a few tablespoons toasted chopped pistachios
- ½ avocado sliced
- Heat a small pan and toast the mustard seeds until just fragrant. Add oil, green beans and leeks, salt. Cook until tender but still crunchy. Add a big squeeze of lemon to the pan.
- Add greens and let them wilt slightly.
- Remove from heat and toss with quinoa, feta cheese, more lemon and lemon zest.
- For best flavor let this chill together for 30 or so minutes.
- Before serving, add toasted pistachios, avocado and a few more mint sprigs. Taste and adjust seasonings.
This is so simple and gorgeous. I think you found the most perfect avocado ever. I can never get them sliced that cleanly! Also…I only found out about ramps this year and never ended up buying any. You’re not alone! 🙂
avocados for photos are so hard… I’ve really been practicing at it 🙂
YUM! This looks delish! Great recipe:)
Beautiful salad! I made an all-green salad recently too (mine was arugula, cucumber, green grapes, pistachios and mint). Your avocado sure looks nice.
This is so gorgeous. I love the pistachio addition.
what a lovely salad. I never thought about the combination of mint and pistachios. Will try it soon.
This look so lite and delicious! Wishing I was eating it now!
This looks so fabulous!! Love this!!
Why, oh why have I never added mint leaves to a salad…?
I forget about them too… but I have so many now I’ve been adding them to everything 🙂
I never even heard of ramps until I started reading food blogs.
Sorta weird as I am a lover of anything in the onion family.
All the veg and grains in one delicious salad? Yes please! 🙂
What a beauty! Will be making this for sure!
I already saw this recipe on Camille Styles, and I immediately pinned it! I love the monochromatic palette (I’m that freak who admires and takes pictures of visually beautiful plates 🙂 and it sounds both healthy and delicious (always a winner in my book).
Wishing you a lovely and successful new week!
Macarons and Pearls
thanks! we eat with our eyes first, right?
This salad sounds really wonderful Jeanine, full of flavour and colour and vibrancy!
We are having an overabundance of ramps in WI…. I’ll trade you for some dandelion greens?!
ha, yes we have tons of danedlion greens, so good!