This easy flatbread pizza recipe is an ode to classic spinach artichoke dip. Creamy artichoke spread and spinach pesto make it bright and flavorful.
This post is in partnership with Angelic Bakehouse.
This post is in partnership with Angelic Bakehouse.
This flatbread pizza recipe is what I make on nights when I’m in the mood for pizza, but I’m not in the mood for making pizza dough. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good homemade pizza crust, but sometimes, I want to whip up a quick and easy vegetable-tastic topping, pile it on a crust, pop it in the oven, and eat without waiting for the dough to rise. I’m guessing you feel that way sometimes, too. 🙂
I based this flatbread pizza recipe on the infamous spinach artichoke dip. It embodies everything you love about the dip (creamy! delicious!), but it’s lighter, brighter, and even more flavorful. I think you’re going to love it.
Flatbread Pizza Recipe Ingredients
When it comes to flatbread pizza, first thing’s first: the flatbread! I love using Angelic Bakehouse’s Flatzza™Crust. It’s absolutely perfect with this pizza because it has a delightful crisp bite once it’s baked (Click here for a $2 off coupon!). I love how it contrasts with the fresh, creamy toppings I use in this recipe:
- A creamy artichoke spread – Instead of using conventional pizza sauce, I slather this flatbread pizza with a creamy white bean and artichoke spread. My goal was to create a luscious layer that didn’t require a block of cream cheese (like the dip does). Then, it occurred to me that blending artichokes themselves would make a creamy, flavorful sauce!
- Fresh spinach leaves – After I spread on the sauce, I add a layer of fresh spinach leaves.
- White cheddar cheese – It gives the pizza extra creaminess and salty, nutty flavor.
- Pesto – In keeping with the spinach artichoke theme, I make a vibrant spinach and pepita pesto to dollop on the pizza. My regular basil pesto or vegan pesto would be fantastic here too.
- More artichokes – Yep, we’re using artichokes 2 ways! I blend some into the spread and pile more on top for delicious briny flavor.
- Fresh herbs – Microgreens and fresh mint leaves make this spring-y pizza feel light and fresh.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Check out this fun video to see how it all comes together (P.S. We had so much fun making that pinwheel of spinach!):
Flatbread Pizza Serving Suggestions
Like any good pizza recipe, this easy flatbread pizza is great with salad on the side. Pair it with my Bright Spring Salad, Italian Chopped Salad, Caesar Salad, Zucchini Salad, or Strawberry Salad with Balsamic. You could also make a simple side salad with your favorite greens and any of these salad dressings:
- Homemade Italian Dressing
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
This easy flatbread pizza is a wonderful appetizer too. Serve it as a first course with my tagliatelle, spaghetti aglio e olio, pesto pasta, fettuccine Alfredo, mushroom polenta, or asparagus soup. It’d be a lovely addition to a spring brunch as well. I love it with my healthy breakfast casserole or vegetable frittata. See this post for more of my favorite brunch recipes!
Flatbread Pizza Recipe Variations
If you’re not in the mood for this spinach-artichoke combination, don’t worry. You can make flatbread pizza with almost any pizza toppings. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Slather the crust with regular pizza sauce, pesto, or a thin layer of cashew cream.
- Make a more traditional pizza with fresh mozzarella cheese, or top your flatbread with grated Parmesan or extra cheddar.
- Pile on your favorite veggies! Bell peppers, spinach, sautéed mushrooms, zucchini, red onion, and roasted garlic are all great choices.
- Add roasted red peppers or roasted cherry tomatoes for complex, savory flavor.
- Finish the pizza with red pepper flakes, fresh basil, or a drizzle of olive oil right before you eat.
What do you like on your flatbread pizza? Let me know in the comments!
More Favorite Pizza Recipes
If you love this flatbread pizza recipe, try one of these tasty pizzas next:
- Margherita Pizza
- Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
- DIY Homemade Pizza
- Best Vegan Pizza
- Summer Blackberry Basil Pizza
- Herb Garden Zucchini Pizza
For more easy dinner ideas, check out this post!
Creamy Artichoke Spread (makes a little extra)
- ½ cup pepitas
- ½ garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups loose-packed spinach
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the pizza
- 1 Angelic Bakehouse Flatzza™ Crust
- Several handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese
- 4 canned artichokes, quartered
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- Handful of mint leaves
- Handful of microgreens
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Make the Creamy Artichoke Spread: In a food processor, combine the beans, artichokes, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and olive oil and puree until creamy. Scoop the mixture out of the food processor and set aside.
- Make the Spinach Pesto: In the food processor, combine the pepitas, garlic, salt, lemon juice, and spinach. Pulse until the pepitas are well chopped. Drizzle in the olive oil and pulse until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the Flatzza™ crust on a baking sheet. Spread a layer of the artichoke spread over the crust (you likely won’t use it all). Lay the spinach leaves on top (see video), then top with ¾ cup of the cheese, the artichokes, and the remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and top with dollops of pesto and sprinkle with the parsley, mint leaves, microgreens, and red pepper flakes, if desired. Slice and serve.