I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like figs – they’re so sweet and unassuming – but I avoided them for years due to my childhood dislike of Fig Newtons. I was just never a fan of that packaged fig flavor. Later, I came to realize (of course!) that fresh figs are amazing. They’re in season now, and their season is short, so you should go find some.
When I have fresh figs, they only seem to last a day (maybe two) so I usually make something really simple with them. Figs, feta and mint are a delicious combination, so I love them in these little sweet & savory crostini bites!
- 1 small baguette, sliced into about 16 pieces, toasted
- 8 fresh figs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese or vegan sun "cheese"
- 30 small mint leaves
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- zest of 1 lemon, optional
- sea salt, to taste
- Assemble each crostini with a spread of ricotta and a bit of lemon zest, if using. Sprinkle with feta and place mint and figs on top. Top with more feta, and a pinch of salt.