No summer picnic is complete without a fresh fruit salad, and this bright recipe, with a simple lemon-ginger dressing, is my absolute favorite.
My best 4th of July memories are all about watermelon and pool parties. When I was younger, we used to go to the community pool, and they hosted this relay race game where you’d swim across the pool trying to push a slippery watermelon with you. It was harder than you think, especially when you’re a little kid. Afterward they’d cut up the watermelon for all the kids to eat. Between the splashy water and the watermelon juices, well, it was all a big fun slippery summery mess.
About this Fruit Salad Recipe
All of these thoughts of watermelon made me immediately think “fruit salad,” followed by the realization that I never even posted a fruit salad recipe on this site! I have salads with fruit in them, but this one is a salad that’s really all about the fruit. It’s pepped up with a lemon-gingery dressing, fresh herbs, and a few soft mozzarella cheese balls.
You may notice that I got a little crafty and cut my melons into star shapes – I used a 2-inch cookie cutter, and I promise it wasn’t as fussy as it might seem :). Of course, you could just use a melon baller (or a knife) to save some time (and fun).
A Festive Fruit Salad with Lemon & Ginger
- ½ honeydew, cut into about 15 stars
- ⅓ seedless watermelon, cut into about 15 stars
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup mini mozzarella balls
- 1 cup cherries
- 1 loose-packed cup mint and basil leaves
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small jar, shake together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, ginger, garlic, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Assemble the fruit, cheese and and herbs on a platter. Drizzle the dressing over, gently toss, and serve!
This recipe was created in partnership with Whole Foods Market which is where I got all of the beautiful organic produce – on sale!