We all know that Thanksgiving is really all about the brown foods. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy… of course it’s all delicious, but before you put on your turkey day stretchy pants, I have a really awesome lemony fennel salad that would be SO delicious next to all of those things.
Paper thin slices of fennel are tossed with, kale, arugula, radishes, lemon, dijon and a little pesto. It’s bright, colorful and refreshing. I added avocado and toasted walnuts for that good creamy/crunchy balance. It’s not too light, it’s not too heavy… holiday or not, this is one of my favorite salads.
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- big squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup pesto, more to taste (any pesto you like, or one of these)
- 4 cups mixed arugula and baby kale* (see note)
- 1 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 3 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1 small avocado, diced
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In the bottom of a large salad bowl, mix together the Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and pesto. Add the greens and toss to coat.
- Add the fennel, radishes, avocado, and walnuts. Season generously with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and more lemon juice, to taste. Add more pesto if desired or serve extra pesto on the side.