Once you have this everything bagel seasoning on hand, you'll sprinkle it over, well, everything! It's crunchy, nutty, garlicky, and delicious.
I first made this Everything Bagel Seasoning for Jack’s homemade bagels, but once I had it on hand, I started sprinkling it over everything. Its nutty, garlicky flavor and irresistible crunch make almost anything more delicious – roasted veggies, eggs, avocado toast, and more!
You might be wondering, “Why would I make my own Everything Bagel Seasoning when I can pick up a jar at Trader Joe’s?” I hear you, but a homemade seasoning mix has one huge advantage over any store bought blend: you control the ratios.
The recipe below is my ideal Everything Bagel Seasoning – heavier on the sesame, lighter on the salt. It tastes great as written, but feel free to make it your own. If you like your blend with more dried garlic or poppy seeds, add them, or amp the onion or the salt. Taste and adjust as you go. If you’re anything like me, you’ll know you’ve gotten it right when you can’t stop eating it straight out of the bowl!
Everything Bagel Seasoning Ingredients
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make this everything bagel seasoning recipe:
- Sesame seeds – In my opinion, everything bagel seasoning is all about the sesame seeds. Their toasty, nutty flavor plays perfectly off the dried onion, garlic, and salt. A mix of black sesame seeds and white sesame seeds makes this seasoning blend visually striking, but if you can’t find both, just one will work here too.
- Poppy seeds – For crunch!
- Dried minced garlic and onion – They add lots of garlicky, oniony flavor.
- Flaky sea salt – I’ve made everything bagel seasoning with coarse sea salt and kosher salt too, but flaky sea salt is the best by far. Unlike coarse salt, which is aggressively salty in this mix, the flaked sea salt is delightful. It makes the nutty, savory flavor of the other ingredients pop.
In a small bowl, mix together the onion and garlic flakes, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and salt. That’s it! If you wanted to, you could toast the sesame seeds and poppy seeds before mixing them in, but honestly, I love the flavor of the raw seeds here. And if you’re planning to bake the seasoning on bagels, do not toast the seeds beforehand. They’ll burn in the oven!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Use Everything Seasoning
Jack and I love this seasoning mix on our homemade bagels (and just about everything else too)! Here are a few of our favorite ways to use it:
- Sprinkle it over avocado toast.
- Use it as a garnish for a dip like hummus or baba ganoush! Because these dips are both made with tahini and garlic, they taste fantastic with the nutty, garlicky flavor of this seasoning blend.
- Top it onto roasted veggies like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or cauliflower! Take this combination to the next level by adding a drizzle of tahini sauce.
- Spoon it over baked potatoes stuffed with cashew sour cream.
- Toss it with roasted chickpeas or popcorn for a salty, crunchy snack.
- Sprinkle it over your favorite type of eggs! I love it on my deviled eggs, soft or hard boiled eggs, and sunny side up eggs.
How do you like to use everything bagel seasoning? Let me know in the comments!
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 4 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds, or additional white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, such as Maldon