Whether you're a fan of traditional egg salad or not, you'll love this bright & briny, tangy & creamy, healthy egg salad recipe!
I’ve never really loved egg salad. Nice way to start a post about egg salad, right? 🙂 But this isn’t just any egg salad sandwich: it’s bright from lemon, full of fresh herbs, and it gets a little briny kick from capers – it’s the best I’ve had! In fact, compared to traditional recipes, which I feel can be a bit on the heavy side, this is light, fresh, and what I think egg salad wants to be.
If you look at the picture below, you’ll see that I actually first made this as a vegan recipe, using tofu instead of hard boiled eggs. Since then, I’ve tested it regular eggs and I think both versions are equally good. Either way, the creamy filling really shines. Scoop it between slices of whole grain bread, and this is everything I want to eat for lunch every day in the spring.
How to Make Egg Salad
- Start by whisking together the mayo or vegan mayo, lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, turmeric, and capers. Look at that pretty turmeric swirl!
- Next, add the diced hard boiled eggs or cubed tofu. If you’re scared of tofu – don’t be. It mimics the texture of eggs perfectly, and since it’s nearly flavorless, it takes on all of the bright & briny flavors of the sauce.
- If you’re making this with eggs, gently fold them into the sauce. If you’re using tofu, mix it in and then lightly crumble it with your hands, keeping some of the cubes intact. We’re going for the texture of egg salad, not scrambled eggs.
- Last, stir in the dill, chives, and celery seed. Celery seed isn’t something I usually keep on hand, but Jack’s mom uses it to make her famous deviled eggs, so I thought I’d give it a go in my egg salad. You could skip it, but if you happen to have it, go for it, because it really perfects this recipe.
To make my sandwiches extra springy, I assemble them with watercress and radish slices, and I top them with pretty pink pickled onions.
- Caesar Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Greek Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Kale Salad
- Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
If you love this egg salad recipe…
Healthy Egg Salad Sandwich
- ¼ cup traditional or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hard boiled eggs, diced, or 7.5 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- Pinches of celery seed* (see note)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 6 slices of whole-grain sandwich bread
- Watercress or spring greens, optional
- Pickled red onion, optional
- Radish slices, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, olive oil, mustard, capers, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, salt, and several grinds of black pepper.
- If you're making this with eggs, gently fold them into the sauce. If you're using tofu, mix it in and then lightly crumble it with your hands, keeping some of the cubes intact. We're going for the texture of egg salad, not scrambled eggs.
- Stir in the celery salt, dill, and chives. Chill until ready to serve.
- Assemble the sandwiches with watercress or spring greens, a scoop of the egg salad, and pickled onions and radish slices, if desired.
This post is in partnership with the Grain Foods Foundation.