Easy Vegetarian Pho
Author: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon whole cloves
- 5 cups water
- ½ small yellow onion, cut into 1” chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced in half
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and reserved
- ¼ cup tamari, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, more to taste
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 baby bok choy, sliced lengthwise into quarters
- ½ cup frozen edamame
- 4 ounces cooked rice noodles
- Lime slices
- Mung bean sprouts
- Fresh herbs: basil, mint, and/or cilantro
- Sriracha, sliced thai chiles, or sliced jalapeños
- In a medium pot over low heat, combine the star anise, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, onion, garlic, ginger, and the stems of the shiitake mushrooms. Simmer for 20 minutes, then strain and return the liquid back to the pot.
- Slice the shiitake mushroom caps and add them to the pot along with the tamari, rice vinegar, and scallions. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the bok choy and edamame and cook until tender, 5-8 minutes. Taste and season with more tamari for depth of flavor, and more rice vinegar for tang, as desired.
- Ladle the soup into 2 bowls over the cooked rice noodles. Serve with the lime slices, sprouts, herbs, sriracha, chili peppers, and more tamari on the side.
Recipe by Love and Lemons at https://www.loveandlemons.com/easy-vegetarian-pho/