Chickpea & Cauliflower Tomato Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 kale leaves, stems chopped, leaves torn
- 2 to 3 cups small cauliflower pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup white wine (or a splash of balsamic vinegar)
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- bundle of fresh thyme & rosemary (about 4 sprigs each)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (I like the Whole Foods brand)
- 4-6 oz. gluten free fusilli, elbow or shell pasta
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the kale stems, cauliflower, and garlic. Season with more salt and pepper and cook 2 more minutes. Add the wine, stir, then add the tomatoes. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the herbs, broth, pasta and chickpeas and another few pinches of salt. Simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto.
- Season the soup to taste. Before serving, stir in the kale until wilted.
- Serve soup with pesto and chopped parsley, if using, on the side.
Recipe by Love and Lemons at https://www.loveandlemons.com/chickpea-cauliflower-minestrone-soup/