Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Author: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 12 cookies
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- ½ cup spelt flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, slightly softened
- ½ cup cane sugar (or regular or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
- ¼ cup whole rolled oats
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer), combine the flax and water. Stir until combined and let it sit and "gel" for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda and salt.
- To the large mixing bowl, add the coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth and well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, and mix until well incorporated. If the batter is too thick and sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons almond milk.
- Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and walnuts, if using.
- Use a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop balls of dough onto your cookie sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned on the edges.
Whole wheat can be used in place of the spelt flour.
For a non-vegan version, you can use 1 egg, just skip the flax and water.
Butter can be substituted for coconut oil.
For a richer cookie that flattens out more - increase coconut oil by 2 tablespoons.
Recipe by Love and Lemons at https://www.loveandlemons.com/vegan-spelt-cookies/