This simple recipe offers two variations for making delicious, easy peanut noodles. These vegan dishes make great weeknight dinners or weekday lunches!
I don’t make peanut noodles nearly enough. I forget how easy it is to make a peanut sauce, and that I usually already have all the ingredients on hand. I’ve made other peanut sauce variations before, but this time I wanted to simplify it down to just the necessary six ingredients. It takes about 5 minutes (tops) to stir it together… then toss it with noodles & veggies. Dinner is done.
We rarely have leftovers when I serve peanut noodles for dinner, but when we do, I use the leftover peanut noodles in lettuce wraps for lunch the next day. Of course you could just eat the cold peanut noodles on their own, but I get bored easily so this is an example of how I like to slightly switch things up. In this case, I loved the creamy peanut noodles in the crispy lettuce leaves. (And a little extra spice).
Easy Peanut Noodles
- ¼ cup creamy, natural peanut butter
- 1½ tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari, more to taste
- 1½ teaspoons rice vinegar or fresh lime juice, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sriracha
- Water, to thin, if necessary
- 1 (8-ounce) package soba noodles (or pasta, or rice noodles)
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Red peppers
- Chopped scallions
- Sesame seeds
- Crushed peanuts
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for your peanut sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings, add more tamari if it's not salty enough, add more rice vinegar or lime juice for more tang.
- Cook noodles until al dente.
- Heat a skillet to medium, add a little oil. Add the mushrooms & eggplant and let cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms become soft. Add the red pepper and scallions and cook for a few minutes more. Add a splash of soy sauce if you wish.
- Toss noodles with as much of the peanut sauce as you like. Add veggies and season to taste.
- Top with sesame seeds and crushed peanuts. Serve warm or cold.
Store extra peanut sauce in the fridge for up to a week.
- Leftover peanut noodles
- Lettuce cups
- Crushed peanuts
- Ponzu sauce for dipping (or ½ soy sauce, ½ rice vinegar)
- (optional - extra peanut sauce)
- Place leftover noodles in lettuce cups and add sriracha and more crushed peanuts on top. Dip in ponzu sauce and enjoy!