You know how much I love chickpeas, and you know how much I love hummus, but today I’m going out of my chickpea comfort zone with this red lentil hummus-like dip. It’s creamy, it’s tangy, and it’s nicely spiced with turmeric and other curry-type spices, because sometimes you run out of chickpeas but you still want a dippable snack.
We’ve been enjoying this with veggies, naan, crackers… I’ve also been caught sneaking spoonfuls straight from the fridge.
The first time I made this, I tried it in a food processor, but I was able to get it much creamier in a blender. See up there? So luscious.
This dip is best straight from the blender, although it’ll keep well in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. If it gets a little thick, stir in some water before serving.
Here’s another tip: when you have just a little bit left at the end, thin it to a drizzle-able consistency and pour it over a roasted veggie bowl with some quinoa. That was our quick dinner a few nights ago and it really pepped up an otherwise boring bowl.
Don’t let this ingredient list intimidate you – it’s all spices – hopefully you have most of them on hand in your spice drawer already. 🙂
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- ¼ cup smooth tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Water, if necessary, for consistency
- Naan and/or cut vegetables, for serving
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add the lentils. Reduce to low and simmer, covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes, then transfer to a blender with the tahini, lemon juice, coconut oil, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, onion powder, cayenne, salt, and several grinds of pepper. Blend until creamy. If the mixture is too thick, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to blend into a creamy consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to use.
- Serve with naan or cut vegetables, as desired.